Helpful
Replies

QoS Data Plane or Control Plane

WhiteHat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I hope someone can clear this thing up to me, 

QoS is a Data plane or Control Plan. Until yesterday i was convinced that it is Control Plane as reffering to what i understand that control plane is the mastermind for the entire network so it creates policies including QoS using ACLs to prevent DoD attacks from data plane to control plane. The ACLs applies on the data plane (forwarder devices) or to the southbound interfaces to do the filtering job. So that leads to QoS is a control plane and filtering is Data Plane. until i saw this article from Ciscopress.com  while Cisco.com says the opposite.. or maybe i understood something wrong. 

Ciscopress.com

• The data plane: The data plane is the forwarding plane, which is responsible for the switching of packets through the router (that is, process switching and CEF switching). In the data plane, there could be features that could affect packet forwarding such as quality of service (QoS) and access control lists (ACLs).

Cisco.com

• The control plane policing (CPP) feature significantly improves upon the rACL feature. Whereas rACLs allow the configuration of basic "permit" and "deny" filters for traffic destined to the router CPU, the CPP feature extends this by allowing users to configure a quality of service (QoS) filter that can also "rate-limit" this traffic. The CPP feature protects the control plane of Cisco IOS Software-based routers and switches against many attacks, including reconnaissance and denial-of-service (DoS) attacks. In this manner, the control plane can maintain packet forwarding and protocol state despite an attack or heavy load on the router or switch.
  • The CPP feature uses the modular QoS command-line interface (MQC) for configuring QoS policy for traffic destined to the control plane.

Thank you professionals 

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Perhaps the confusion is due to that QoS is a approach which can be applied on the data or control plane, although generally much more applied to the data plane. Also when QoS techniques are used in the control plane, they are often not lumped under the heading of QoS.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card