cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS for in/out traffic

MachadoGB
Level 1
Level 1

I need to implement a QoS policy such a way that I control the bandwidth utilization between customers.

Both are connected to the same 4948E-10GIG version. running enterprise level of IOS 12.2.(54)SG. The IOS does not allow hierarchical QoS. So I have to do it using, marking, policy and shape.

The interface GIG1/1 for example has a maxim bandwidth of 50Mbps. The interface GIG1/3 has 10Mbps of bandwidth.

The incoming traffic via GIG1/1 has to go out via GIG1/3. But it can not congest the 10Mbps link. The exceed traffic has to be transmitted but with a lower preference. I am thinking on using “shape Xm” for the incoming traffic into interface GIG 1/3 and mark the traffic leaving interface GIG1/1 so I can associate the less than 1Mbps bandwidth to CS5 with 40% of the available bandwidth and what ever exceed it will get CS1 with 2% of the bandwidth using shape command.

Is that correct?

2 Replies 2

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

That seems work fine.
Find the below may help for your scenario.

Police a specific VLAN number on a physical trunk port.

class-map vlan5
match vlan 5
match class-map class-default

policy-map vlan5-limit
class vlan5
police 2000000 250000 exceed-action drop

int fa0/5
service-policy input vlan5-limit

After you apply this configuration, the traffic with VLAN ID 5 coming from a trunk port fa0/5 will be policed at 2Mbps.

Please rate the helpful posts.

Regards,
Naidu.

Thanks for your reply.

That would help if you have few VLANS and a trunk. In my case I do not have VLANs.

In my case the 4948E is doing BGP to the central router upstream and BGP to remote routers downstream (one for each 48 ports). All point-to-point interfaces.Remember that GIG1/1 at 50Mbps can send majority of the traffic to GIG1/30 that has 10Mbps speed and the same traffic to GIG1/40 that has 5Mbps speed. And interface GIG1/30 and 1/40 also send traffic to interface GIG1/1.

I was looking for a policy that would cover all the 48 interfaces.

I received some tips that it should be done inbound and outbound. Some protection for the upstream connection to the router is also necessary. Also I have assigned percentages for specific types of traffic, such as voice, network management, critical data, etc..

Let me work a bit on it. If you have any additional tips let me know.Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card