Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS on 6500

d.serra
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Guys,

I've been trying to figure out the following configuration and it is starting to make my brian hurt.  Specifically is the 'threshold' value for the 'wrr-queue cos-map' command.  For example, below we see the command 'wrr-queue cos-map 2 6 0 2'.  What does a threashold of 6 mean?  Is it somehow tied to the minimum threasholds of WRED or is it a Tail-Drop-Threashold?  I'm feeling beat on this one so your help is Greatly appreaciated!

interface GigabitEthernet9/43
switchport
switchport access vlan 9
switchport mode access
shutdown
wrr-queue bandwidth 20 40 60
wrr-queue queue-limit 40 25 20
wrr-queue random-detect min-threshold 1 1 1 1 75 1 1 1 1
wrr-queue random-detect min-threshold 2 1 1 1 1 1 50 1 75
wrr-queue random-detect min-threshold 3 1 1 1 1 1 50 1 100
wrr-queue random-detect max-threshold 1 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100
wrr-queue random-detect max-threshold 2 100 100 100 100 100 75 100 100
wrr-queue random-detect max-threshold 3 100 100 100 100 100 75 100 100
wrr-queue cos-map 1 4 1
wrr-queue cos-map 2 6 0 2
wrr-queue cos-map 2 8 3
wrr-queue cos-map 3 6 4
wrr-queue cos-map 3 8 6 7
no snmp trap link-status
mls qos vlan-based
no cdp enable
spanning-tree guard root

Regards,

Dave

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Shashank Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dave,

In command, wrr-queue cos-map 2 6 0 2, 2 is the queue-id, 6 is the threshold-id and 0 & 2 are cos values mappped to threshold-is 6 in queue 2 on int gi9/43.

Number of thresholds differ depending on the line card being used. Seeing your configuration it seems that the line card in slot 9 supports 8 threshold values for its queues.

Generally each threshold represents a specific percentage of the queue depth. Let us assume that threshold-id 6 is mapped to 60% of the queue depth. Hence with this configuration, packets marked with cos 0 and 2 will be dropped only after the queue is more than 60% full.

Similarly, wrr-queue cos-map 2 8 3 command maps cos 3 with threshold 8 in queue 2. If we assume that threshold 8 is mapped to 80% of the queue depth, cos 3 packets will not be dropped unless the queue is 80% full and likewise.

These mappings can be seen is show queueing int gi9/43 output.

Let me know if you have any more doubts.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please rate this answer if you found the content useful

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dave

Can you post output of -

sh queueing interface gi9/43 | begin queue thresh cos-map

Jon

I'm sorry but I can't produce any show commands as I do not have access to the equipment.  Just trying to understand the configuration.

Shashank Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dave,

In command, wrr-queue cos-map 2 6 0 2, 2 is the queue-id, 6 is the threshold-id and 0 & 2 are cos values mappped to threshold-is 6 in queue 2 on int gi9/43.

Number of thresholds differ depending on the line card being used. Seeing your configuration it seems that the line card in slot 9 supports 8 threshold values for its queues.

Generally each threshold represents a specific percentage of the queue depth. Let us assume that threshold-id 6 is mapped to 60% of the queue depth. Hence with this configuration, packets marked with cos 0 and 2 will be dropped only after the queue is more than 60% full.

Similarly, wrr-queue cos-map 2 8 3 command maps cos 3 with threshold 8 in queue 2. If we assume that threshold 8 is mapped to 80% of the queue depth, cos 3 packets will not be dropped unless the queue is 80% full and likewise.

These mappings can be seen is show queueing int gi9/43 output.

Let me know if you have any more doubts.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please rate this answer if you found the content useful

Thank you Shashank!

Your explanation is very helpful.  Further, it pointed out something else interesting in that drop thresholds are set on CoS values rather then queues.  I used to think that you set WRED min and max values on a per queue basis but from what you have outlined it sounds like queue 2 will start droping CoS 0 and 2 packets at 50% queue depth and CoS 3 at 75% queue depth.  Very very interesting.  Thank you for the clarification.

Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card