Views
Helpful
Replies

Quality of Service on Cisco 2940

bayates826
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I just acquired a Cisco 2940-8TF-S 10 port switch and I'm just messing around with it right now.   I will probably be using it to study a little bit on, but  for now I'm confused on what it supports and the different IOS versions for it.

It had the image c2940-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA8 on it which I updated to c2940-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA14 right away.  The first thing I wanted to do with it was try out some QoS, but I found that the class-map command is unrecognized. I have looked through some documentation and from what I can tell qos should be supported.   I went through a 2940 qos configuration guide which included the commands like class-map, policy-map, etc.  I can't find anything that says this switch doesn't support qos so I'm wondering if it has something to do with the image.

So does this particular model not support QoS or is there something else I need to do in order to have these features?  I apologize, I'm a newbie when it comes to the hardware versions, software versions, feature sets, etc.  I pretty much only know about the basic configuration part.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

I guess its just a basic qos support

QUALITY OF SERVICE

Q. Does the Cisco Catalyst 2940 Series support the appropriate quality of service (QoS) mechanisms to enable voice, video, and data applications?

A. Yes, for basic voice, video, and data applications. The switches support four queues per port, allowing network administrators to choose from four different service levels for each type of network traffic. Using the 802.1p class of service (CoS) value in the packet header, Cisco Catalyst 2940 Series Switches can place different types of traffic into different prioritized queues. Queue priorities can be configured using Strict Priority or Weighted Round Robin scheduling. When running voice over the network, it is better to use Strict Priority scheduling; if there is a mix of video and data applications, Weighted Round Robin scheduling is generally preferred.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello

I guess its just a basic qos support

QUALITY OF SERVICE

Q. Does the Cisco Catalyst 2940 Series support the appropriate quality of service (QoS) mechanisms to enable voice, video, and data applications?

A. Yes, for basic voice, video, and data applications. The switches support four queues per port, allowing network administrators to choose from four different service levels for each type of network traffic. Using the 802.1p class of service (CoS) value in the packet header, Cisco Catalyst 2940 Series Switches can place different types of traffic into different prioritized queues. Queue priorities can be configured using Strict Priority or Weighted Round Robin scheduling. When running voice over the network, it is better to use Strict Priority scheduling; if there is a mix of video and data applications, Weighted Round Robin scheduling is generally preferred.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

bayates826
Level 1
Level 1

I found a command reference for my model and commands such as class-map and policy-map are not in there.  Looks like the only thing I can do with it is queuing and CoS marking.  The configuration documentation is confusing as it shows you can configure QoS like I'm used to in there.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If I remember correctly, some of the 29xx series came as -S (for standard features) and -E (for enhanced features), your switch might be the -S type; often "advanced" QoS were only found on the -E models, and even those "advanced" QoS features might not encompass what you'll find on newer switch series.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card