Views
Helpful
Replies

Quality of Service (QoS) for multicast equipment in UDP

cadumep12
Level 1
Level 1

Hello experts, good morning!
I would like some assistance or ideas for a scenario I'm facing. I'm new to dealing with networks, especially CISCO. Here's the lab setup I have:
I have a Cisco switch (WS-C3560X-48) to be used with TV equipment, which will communicate via Multicast. A VLAN was configured in access mode on the ports and communication was validated, but with some freezing issues. To fix this, the idea of configuring QoS, IGMP-Carrier, and IGMP Snooping was suggested. Once I adjust the IP targeting via the modulator (connected equipment), it's advisable to link the SWITCH PORT, mapping the MODULATOR by Mbits and IPs, setting up filters per port on the SWITCH, for example: MODULATOR 1 - IPs XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX - 20 Mbits flow connected to port 1 of CISCO SWITCH, remembering the QoS application for UDP, which by default is in TCP, focusing on filtering by MODULATOR with attention to the IPs configured on them and also the transport MEGABITS that will be connected to the SWITCH ports to prevent the total flow from overwhelming all SWITCH ports.
Example: port 2 - 192.168.2.11 - Modulator 2 will communicate with port 5 - 192.168.2.12 - GATEWAY LAND 1.
Has anyone seen a similar scenario or have an idea of how to perform these configurations?

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I confess I'm a bit confused by your posting, but can say QoS can be used to insure your multicast video obtains the network resources it needs.

For non-realtime video you need to guarantee it somewhat more (perhaps +10%) than its average bandwidth usage and try to preclude any drops.  You might accomplish the forgoing using a dedicated egress queue.  (How it's specifically done depends on device and/or IOS version.)

BTW, I recall (?) igmp snooping might be on by default but you need an igmp querier for it to work.  (Normally provided by the multicast routing gateway.)

Unknown, to me, what an igmp-carrier is.

Sure, and using only QoS to ensure prioritization of UDP traffic and guaranteeing that bandwidth on:

Model: WS-C3560X-48

SW Version: 12.2(55)SE3

SW Image: C3560E-UNIVERSALK9-M

BTW the 3560x uses, the much  confusing, MLS QoS.  It also supports 4 egress queues, when QoS is enabled.  It also, like other Catalyst 2k and 3k switches are a bit light in queuing resources.  Lastly. your IOS version is considered one of the best for those switches but yours is at a very early patch level.

Eu entendo, vou continuar tentando ajustar as filas com MLS QoS, para priorização UDP, como devo proceder?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card