cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about Passive-Interface command

Neuromancer
Level 1
Level 1

Are my assumptions about this command correct?

-The passive-interface command can be implemented at the global, interface, and router config modes.

- When implemented in the global mode, all interfaces don't send or listen to routing updates.

-When set at an individual interface, that individual interface ignores routing updates.

-When set at the router config mode, you can either choose passive mode for individual or all interfaces for that specific routing protocol.

The only one I'm not sure about is the global config version. Is it valid?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hello Christopher,

afaik, passive-interface can only be used in router config mode.

There is no global command "passive-interface" and no interface command "passive-interface". Check with the command reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00800ca75a.html#wp1019734

passive-interface

To disable sending routing updates on an interface, use the passive-interface command in router configuration mode. To reenable the sending of routing updates, use the no form of this command.

passive-interface [default] {interface-type interface-number}

no passive-interface interface-type interface-number

Defaults

Routing updates are sent on the interface.

Command Modes

Router configuration

Hope this helps!

Regards, Martin

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

hi,

you can apply this command on router configuration mode... and its used to prevent the sending of routing information through that interface of the local router...

interface enabled with the passive interface command can not send it update but i can receive the update from the other routers...

regards

Devang

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card