Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about Stacking

network_person
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I have a quick question about stackwise plus technology. I would like to confirm that there is no redundancy at the ethernet switch port in terms of a physical problem. The reason I ask is that we are deploying stacked switches shortly to ensure high availability but curious to know whether anyone has seen issues with physical ports failing and not the chassis/PSUs. I understand that Etherchannels can be used but we have security cameras that cannot suffer any outages and would be connected to a single port on the stack. I'm guessing that my option is to monitor the Switch Ports statistics via SNMP and move the camera to another port if this ever happens.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Evan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Sure, ports can fail without the whole switch failing, but edge redundancy, such as using dual links (often configured as a bundled channel), between the host and two stack members addresses both switch port failure and stack member failure.

Unless your security cameras support dual links, your going to have a single point of failure at the edge port.

Next best options, as you've already noted, would be to have, on-line, "warm" spare ports that you can quickly repatch into.  Ideally you have enough spare ports to allowing repatching in case a whole switch member fails.

(BTW, when you have spare ports, you don't have to set aside a whole stack member, sitting empty.  For example, instead of having a dual stack with only one switch member populated, and the other not at all, split the populated ports across both stack members.  That way, if a stack member fails, you don't lose all your hosts, only half.  [With cameras, depending on their views, you might be able to overlap their coverage across multiple stack member.])

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Sure, ports can fail without the whole switch failing, but edge redundancy, such as using dual links (often configured as a bundled channel), between the host and two stack members addresses both switch port failure and stack member failure.

Unless your security cameras support dual links, your going to have a single point of failure at the edge port.

Next best options, as you've already noted, would be to have, on-line, "warm" spare ports that you can quickly repatch into.  Ideally you have enough spare ports to allowing repatching in case a whole switch member fails.

(BTW, when you have spare ports, you don't have to set aside a whole stack member, sitting empty.  For example, instead of having a dual stack with only one switch member populated, and the other not at all, split the populated ports across both stack members.  That way, if a stack member fails, you don't lose all your hosts, only half.  [With cameras, depending on their views, you might be able to overlap their coverage across multiple stack member.])

Sorry for the late reply Joseph.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I think dual ports for the cameras would be the best option at this point when using stack switches. I will need to look into the pricing when I have the chance.

Have you seen many instances where ports fail on stack switches?

Cheers.

Evan

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

I've seen it very rarely.  Seems the whole switch fails a little more often, but even those failures are often rare.  (I've also seen switches run for 15 some years, continuously.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card