cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on 3560G TS and SMI with ASA5500

swieduwilt
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to get some layer 3 switches that I can use with the ASA5550 Firewall to do some Sub Vlan Interfaces to switches in the racks

[Router]

|

[ASA55400] ------------[3560G] ------------[2650G] Rack 1 (vlan 1,2,3,4,5)

|  |  |

|  |  ----------------[2650G] Rack 2 (vlan 1,2,3,4,5)

|  |

|  -------------------[2650G] Rack 3 (vlan 1,2,3,4,5)

|

----------------------[2650G] Rack 4  (vlan 1,2,3,4,5)

And so on .....

would all the switches need to be layer 3 or just the first one?

Also whats the Difference between the Cisco Catalyst 3560G-48PS SMI and the Cisco Catalyst 3560G-48TS

what is the SMI?

One Final question Why does this switch even exist Cisco Catalyst 3560V2-48TS

I ordered 6 of them and there not Gigabit ethernet switches, Really!!! Now I have to try to exchange them for Gigabit ones

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

swieduwilt wrote:

I am looking to get some layer 3 switches that I can use with the ASA5550 Firewall to do some Sub Vlan Interfaces to switches in the racks

[Router]

|

[ASA55400] ------------[3560G] ------------[2650G] Rack 1 (vlan 1,2,3,4,5)

|  |  |

|  |  ----------------[2650G] Rack 2 (vlan 1,2,3,4,5)

|  |

|  -------------------[2650G] Rack 3 (vlan 1,2,3,4,5)

|

----------------------[2650G] Rack 4  (vlan 1,2,3,4,5)

And so on .....

would all the switches need to be layer 3 or just the first one?

Also whats the Difference between the Cisco Catalyst 3560G-48PS SMI and the Cisco Catalyst 3560G-48TS

what is the SMI?

One Final question Why does this switch even exist Cisco Catalyst 3560V2-48TS

I ordered 6 of them and there not Gigabit ethernet switches, Really!!! Now I have to try to exchange them for Gigabit ones

If you mean you want the 3560 to do the inter-vlan routing then yes only the 3560 needs to be L3. The other switches can be L2 and connect to the 3560 with L2 trunk links.

SMI (now known as IP Base) does not support some of the more advanced IP services. For inter-vlan routing in your scenario SMI will be fine. SMI still supports routing/static routes/RIP but not EIGRP/OSPF etc. However from the above you don't really need to run EIGRP or OSPF. From the 3560 Q&A -

Q. What software images does the Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series support?

A. The Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series can be purchased with the IP Base or IP Services licenses pre-installed. The IP Base license (formerly called the Standard Multilayer Image, or SMI) offers advanced QoS, rate limiting, ACLs, and basic static and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) routing functions. The IP Services license (formerly called the Enhanced Multilayer Image, or EMI) provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, including advanced hardware-based IP unicast and IP Multicast routing as well as policy-based routing (PBR). Upgrade licenses are available to upgrade a switch from the IP Base license to the IP Services license.

The difference between the 48PS and 48TS is that the PS model supports PoE (Power over Ethernet).

Finally as to why the v2 switch exists -

Q. What are the advantages of the Cisco Catalyst 3560 v2 and 3750 v2 Series over their predecessors, the Cisco Catalyst 3560 and 3750 Series?

A. The Cisco Catalyst 3560 v2 and 3750 v2 Series have several advantages over their predecessors:

• Compatibility with the Cisco Redundant Power System 2300 (RPS 2300): The new switches can fall back to their own internal power supplies without any service interruption, and the RPS 2300 can be managed using the new switches.

• Lower power consumption: The Power over Ethernet (PoE) switches consume up to 11 percent less power compared to their predecessors, at 50 percent PoE load. The non-PoE switches consume up to 14 percent less power compared to their predecessors, at 50 percent traffic load.

• Full EnergyWise support: You can monitor energy consumption and implement energy saving programs for a variety of applications.

• All switches have a uniform depth of 11.9".

• The Cisco Catalyst 3560 v2 Series includes a DC powered model.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card