cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions about Multicast when L2 and L3 are mixed.

CATYO
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there. 

I am very very new to multicast. 

I've got some questions and need your helps. 
I draw the topology and questions are in the picture. 

Please help me out and correct me if I was missing something.  

Thank you in advance : 0

19 Replies 19

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Multicast within same vlan no need for PIM. Although you need something make the IGMP queries and most switches can do this with the "igmp snooping querier .." command.

Multicast between vlans you need to enable PIM on each SVI you want to route multicast for.

Clients use IGMP to request a multicast stream.

Jon

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

"Although you need something make the IGMP queries and most switches can do this with the "igmp snooping querier .." command."

Actually, you only need a querier if you have switches that block multicast to ports that don't want it.  (Most modern managed switches support this feature [IGMP snooping], but as Jon notes, you'll need a IGMP querier for it to work [to get hosts to "flag" they want multicast, so the switch knows to unblock multicast to that port].  Dumb switches or hubs, will not need the querier.  You'll also need a querier for multicast routing, but then we're no longer limiting ourselves to the condition Jon notes, same VLAN.)

"Multicast between vlans you need to enable PIM on each SVI you want to route multicast for."

To expand on this, if you're just doing multicast between subnets on the same Cisco device, I believe, PIM alone will generally be all you need.  However, if your subnets are across multiple L3 devices, you'll want some kind of multicast routing protocol also enabled.

BTW, in your diagrams with L2 and L3, yoru L2 domain/VLAN/subnet also spans across your L3 switches.  Losing the L2 link between your two L3 switches would partition (NB: that's bad) your subnet and your two L3 switches, would not just use the L3 link to knit them together.

Joe

However, if your subnets are across multiple L3 devices, you'll want some kind of multicast routing protocol also enabled

That's what PIM is ie. a multicast routing protocol.

It uses the IP routing table.

Jon

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Indeed PIM (protocol independent multicast) is a multicast routing protocol.  Jon, thanks for mentioning that because that specific comment of mine was for multicast, generically, not Cisco specific, while my statement just ahead of it was Cisco specific.

To further clarify (or confuse - hopefully not), there are different "flavors" of Cisco's PIM, some requiring additional configuration beyond enabling PIM on the interface.  There's also non-PIM multicast protocols, and when dealing with other vendors, many don't support all the PIM protocols Cisco does, and the converse can be true too.  When you need to multicast across L3 hops, it can be, and often should be, a little more complex then just enabling PIM on a Cisco interface.  However, it can be that simple too.

Joe

on the same Cisco device, I believe, PIM alone will generally be all you need.  However, if your subnets are across multiple L3 devices, you'll want some kind of multicast routing protocol also enabled.

thanks for mentioning that because that specific comment of mine was for multicast, generically, not Cisco specific, while my statement just ahead of it was Cisco specific.

Sorry but that's not what you said.

There's nothing wrong with admitting a mistake, I do it all the time on these forums :-)

Jon

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Jon, I agree there's nothing wrong in admitting mistakes, I don't mind doing so (well not too much - laugh), but I'm still at a lost what you see as a mistake.

Since you've highlighted same and multiple, are you reading the two statements as contradictory?  If so, they are not intended to be.  The first statement has same Cisco device and the 2nd statement has multiple L3 devices.  So the first statement is specific to Cisco and their PIM protocols which are, as you correctly note, also multicast routing protocols.  If the same device wasn't Cisco, it might not support PIM at all.

The second statement is generic, as it applies to all L3 devices (doing multicast), where you'll need a multicast routing protocol.  This statement is also a superset of the first statement, as it doesn't exclude Cisco's PIM.  For example, if using Cisco, PIM would be fine as well as if using Brand X and DVMRP.  BTW, the reason I'm addressing both Cisco and generic multicast, because OP doesn't actually describe or ask about Cisco multicast, although these are Cisco forums.  So, I'm trying to cover both bases.

Rereading what I wrote, though, perhaps dropping a couple of words makes what I intended, clearer.  I.e.:

To expand on this, if you're just doing multicast between subnets on the same Cisco device, I believe, PIM alone will generally be all you need.  However, if your subnets are across multiple L3 devices, you'll want some kind of multicast routing protocol also enabled.

Does that help clarify?  If not, and if I'm still unclear in what I'm trying to say, or I'm factually incorrect, please clarify what my mistake is; either here or unicast a reply.

Thanks Jon.

Joe

Does that help clarify? 

Not really :-)

if you're just doing multicast between subnets on Cisco devices only, PIM alone will generally be all you need. if you are running a mix of vendors and some of them do not support PIM then you may need to use additional multicast routing protocols as well as PIM.

That seems to me to be summing up what you are saying although I'm not trying to put words in your mouth.

I'm not trying to win an argument here and the vast majority of your posts are clear and unambiguous but as far as I can see this one could be taken any number of ways and I just didn't want to confuse the OP.

Although I strongly suspect it is a bit late for that now :-)

Jon

if you're just doing multicast between subnets on Cisco devices only, PIM alone will generally be all you need. if you are running a mix of vendors and some of them do not support PIM then you may need to use additional multicast routing protocols as well as PIM.

"That seems to me to be summing up what you are saying although I'm not trying to put words in your mouth."

No, that's not what I'm trying to convey.  But if that's what I seem to be saying, then my lack of clarify is a mistake.

"I'm not trying to win an argument here ..."

I didn't think you were. 

"... as far as I can see this one could be taken any number of ways and I just didn't want to confuse the OP."

That's what I want to avoid, and ditto about causing any confusion.

I'm trying to convey a couple of things, and the combination of the couple of things, poorly explained by me in just two statements, is likely why it's unclear.  Also, I'm trying not to be (too) pedantic, myself (laugh).

When I originally wrote "To expand on this, if you're just doing multicast between subnets on the same Cisco device, I believe, PIM alone will generally be all you need.", what I principally had in mind was, that you may not need to have the statement ip multicast-routing.  I.e. you might only need ip pim dense-mode on the interfaces to support multicast on a single Cisco device.  Also notice, in my original statement, I'm hedging it by writing "I believe".  (I.e. I'm uncertain about whether PIM, alone, will work, again just on a single Cisco device.)

In my second statement "However, if your subnets are across multiple L3 devices, you'll want some kind of multicast routing protocol also enabled.", notice I used the word "want", not a word like "need".  This because, in theory, you could do multicast, much like it's done across L2 using flood and prune, but a protocol is much, much nicer.

For example, on a single device, a multicast stream received by an interface could just be simply flooded to all other device interfaces (much like a switch does without IGMP snooping).  Or it might prune multicast from other interfaces that don't have a host that wants it (much like a switch with IGMP snooping).

Once you have multiple devices, though, you really want a multicast routing protocol of some sort to deal with multicast issues.

What might make my two statements readable in a number of ways, without going into depth, I'm addressing a special case of a single Cisco multicast device versus a L3 multicast topology (much like unicast routing on a single device between connected interfaces versus using a dynamic routing protocol) and I'm also trying to distinguish between generic multicast versus Cisco multicast (much like the differences between OSPF and EIGRP, both serve the same basic purpose, but they are different).

Joe

I see what you were saying now and I'm also in a better frame of mind today :-)

If you enabled PIM, no matter which version, on a single device with multiple subnets it won't work until you enable "ip multicast-routing" which to be fair you did say you weren't sure of.

Without that command there is no routing between subnets, it's like having a L3 device with multiple subnets and entering "no ip routing", it won't work.

When you say in theory you could do multicast without a protocol you can't if there are multiple subnets involved whether that is on a single device or multiple L3 devices.

And the protocol used, with Cisco devices at least, is PIM.

That I think is where my main confusion came ie. you seemed, at different points in your posts, to be suggesting PIM was not a multicast routing protocol ie. you can use PIM but using a multicast routing protocol would be much better.

But that may be the way I interpreted it.

Jon

I see what you were saying now and I'm also in a better frame of mind today :-)

Laugh.

If you enabled PIM, no matter which version, on a single device with multiple subnets it won't work until you enable "ip multicast-routing" which to be fair you did say you weren't sure of.

Without that command there is no routing between subnets, it's like having a L3 device with multiple subnets and entering "no ip routing", it won't work.

Are you 100% sure?  Reason I ask, I have a very hazy recollection that you could do multicast on a single Cisco device without both commands.  It also might have been, you only enable multicast-routing and not PIM on the interfaces.  Again, I'm not sure, and it only would work on a single Cisco device.

When you say in theory you could do multicast without a protocol you can't if there are multiple subnets involved whether that is on a single device or multiple L3 devices.

In theory, meaning it may not be possible with any actual vendor IOS image, I believe you could, using, as explained, flooding (yuck!) or flooding and pruning (still somewhat yucky).  I'm not suggesting this is a good idea.  Although on a single device, with connected interfaces, flood and prune, without a protocol, would effectively be the same as PIM-DM.

On multiple devices, flooding multicast everywhere, with only IGMP pruning, is really ugly.  That's when you want a multicast protocol that also supports multicast routing, along with other issues involved with multicast on L3 topologies.

That I think is where my main confusion came ie. you seemed, at different points in your posts, to be suggesting PIM was not a multicast routing protocol ie. you can use PIM but using a multicast routing protocol would be much better.

But that may be the way I interpreted it.

Well, if that's how you read it, I did a poor job wording what I wrote because PIM is very much a multicast routing protocol.  Again, my trying to describe what might be done to support multicast on a single Cisco device to doing multicast across a L3 topology which might be all Cisco, no Cisco or some combination, is likely why what I wrote wasn't clear to you, or possibly others.  I, though, had no trouble understanding what I wrote.  (Laugh)

I think at this point, this has been beaten to death, but if the OP has any additional questions, please feel to post them.

Are you 100% sure? 

Never really 100% sure about anything but pretty sure yes.

The process of moving packets between subnets is routing hence -

"ip multicast-routing"

The multicast routing table does not show directly connected subnets. PIM uses the IP routing table where they would be but it doesn't directly populate the multicast routing table.

You can add static mroutes but as far as I know, and I have never tested it, you still need PIM to make it work.

You most definitely need multicast routing enabled.

In theory, meaning it may not be possible with any actual vendor IOS image

this doesn't make any sense. .

The stream would literally have to be flooded everywhere and only IGMP on the switches would limit the propogation. You wouldn't be able to prune because you aren't running a multicast routing protocol so each L3 device is completely unaware of any other L3 device from a multicast perspective.

But yes, anything is possible in theory I suppose.

Jon

this doesn't make any sense. .

The stream would literally have to be flooded everywhere and only IGMP on the switches would limit the propogation. You wouldn't be able to prune because you aren't running a multicast routing protocol so each L3 device is completely unaware of any other L3 device from a multicast perspective.

But yes, anything is possible if you need to rely on theory I suppose.

Ah, I guess I'm unclear on this too.  I'm unsure anything is possible in theory, but the theory I'm interested in supports real operations and/or help you understand them.  Or, theory to helps one understand and make sense of how things work.

To better understand flood-and-prune, first forget about switches, think hubs connected to the router.  Second, forget, initially, multiple L3 devices.

If a multicast source comes up, the connected router interface will see the multicast stream.  In theory, the router could immediately flood that multicast stream to all the other router's interfaces.  (I believe, that's what PIM-DM does, possibly DVMRP too.)

Additionally, router interfaces will see IGMP messages.  So, it knows whether any hosts want the stream it's flooding.  If there are no hosts that desire the stream, the router can prune it off the interface.  (I also believe, that's what PIM-DM does; and also again, perhaps DVMRP too.)

So, on a single router, in theory, you don't need a full fledged multicast routing protocol to support multicast between connected interfaces.

Whether what I've described is truly multicast routing, is debatable, as IP networks aren't even considered, only interfaces.  What I've just described is more like bridging than routing.

What I've also described could be extended between routers.  Doing so creates some issues, for instance what controls pruning between routers?  In theory, you could also use IGMP messages, much like some "smart" switches suppress IGMP multiple host messages to the router's interface or cascaded switch uplinks, toward the router's interface.  Doing this, it would work fairly well as long as you didn't have alternate paths or multiple routers with interfaces on the same segment.

The reason I keep saying, in theory, is because just doing multicast as a special case on a singe L3 device is rather pointless if you can also do it for multiple routers, and when working with multiple routers, you'll want to address the other issues of multicast.

Why I even mention this, is because PIM-DM (and DVMRP?) is built on a basic flood-and-prune model.  That, and many decades ago, when first learning multicast, I still have some very vague recollection you could get a Cisco router to do multicast between its interfaces without a full multicast configuration.  Why I think I remember it at all was, because it was something I wouldn't expect to work.  (Also something you shouldn't intentionally be doing.)  Again, though, it was literally decades ago.

Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment to lab this up.  Maybe I'll shoot Peter a note.  Good chance he might know and/or be willing to lab it up.

[edit]

I just shot Peter a note, while doing so, though, I think I recall doing multicast on a singe Cisco router, without all expected multicast statements, was something I read, but don't believe I tried.  Where I had read it, I trusted the source material, but I was much more trusting then.  ;)

Also, this was back in the version 11.0 days, so its also possible it's something that worked on such a version, but has been "fixed".

Joe

I don't think there is much point in replying specifically to your last post because whatever I say you will just come up with another lengthy post about theory and what you really meant.

You have contradicted yourself a number of times ie. same device means all Cisco devices then it meant single device, first you meant PIM, then you meant "ip multicast-routing" I have lost track.

I'm not sure why you couldn't simply correct your initial mistake rather than trying to distract from it by all your additional posts but it doesn't really matter.

By all means drop Peter a note as you seem to think only his word is good enough and again that is absolutely fine with me as I have always said I make as many if not more mistakes than anyone on these forums.

And I may well have made some here too but if I have I won't try and distract from it, I will simply hold my hands up and say I did.

Jon

You say your not sure why I couldn't simply correct my initial mistake, but that's the point, I'm not "seeing" the mistake, and believe it or not, I really want to!  (I also don't want to seem argumentative nor am I trying to debate you.)

You say I've contradicted myself a number of times, again, I don't see I did; really.  But if you do, or others do, then I readily admit that's a mistake.

I want to "see" my mistake, so a) I can amend it in this thread and b) avoid similar mistakes in the future.

I'm trying to avoid another lengthy post, but bear with me a little longer.

Your first post to my original post had:

Joe

However, if your subnets are across multiple L3 devices, you'll want some kind of multicast routing protocol also enabled

That's what PIM is ie. a multicast routing protocol.

It uses the IP routing table.

Jon

I agree with both your statements, but what's factually wrong with my statement?  Why your post?  What's the error?

I read your reply, as you want to make clear PIM is (also) a multicast routing protocol (which some might not know).  Again, I agree, and even said so in my reply.

However, I may have muddied the waters by further saying that statement was meant to be be generic both for multicast protocols and vendors.  I further compounded that muddying by addressing different kinds of PIM.  (You mentioned you can be pedantic - laugh - meet your master.)  If you like, I'll admit adding this information might have been a "mistake", but am I factually incorrect?  (If so, please correct me.)

Your next reply had:

Joe

on the same Cisco device, I believe, PIM alone will generally be all you need.  However, if your subnets are across multiple L3 devices, you'll want some kind of multicast routing protocol also enabled.

thanks for mentioning that because that specific comment of mine was for multicast, generically, not Cisco specific, while my statement just ahead of it was Cisco specific.

Sorry but that's not what you said.

There's nothing wrong with admitting a mistake, I do it all the time on these forums :-)

Jon

Now your saying that's not what I said, and I made a mistake.

Okay, but I'm still not seeing the contradiction, even though you've highlighted the words same and multiple, in two different sentences.

I think, but I'm really not sure, you think I'm saying PIM only applies to the same device?  Well, as you noted, PIM is also a multicast routing protocol, and I agree (and know that too), so is there a contradiction?  Or, do these statement only contradict if you don't know that?

Jon, I'm really still trying to "see" what you see is my mistake.

I readily admit, that PIM (on interfaces alone), may be insufficient for same Cisco device multicast.  Again, I originally noted I believed that might be true, but I don't know it to be true (and you believe it's not).

I apologize to OP and other readers for any confusion my posts in this thread may have caused.  Hopefully with Jon's assistance, I'll eventually get it right.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card