cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QUIC protocol

tedauction
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we have a large amount of Google Chrome users. I am starting to hear the odd complaint about slow connections to some sites on the internet. As a test I disabled the QUIC protocol (UDP 443) in the web browsers at one site, and the complaints stopped. In addition we also block QUIC on our firewall.

So it would seem that browsers were failing to communicate via QUIC and then either stalling or taking too long to revert to TCP 443.

Are any other of you network engineers seeing the same sort of problem ? - I was considering disabling QUIC in all Chrome browsers company-wide. 

1 Reply 1

lyndagilchrist
Level 1
Level 1

I am wondering how many places block QUIC protocol.  We have a lot of Chrome users as well and they were complaining about slowness on the Internet.  After a ton of searching online my co-worker discovered that Google randomly selected Chrome users and turned on the QUIC protocol on their browsers.  This caused all kinds of havoc as we looked at traffic on our Firepower from his browser and nothing was being blocked and his Chrome was good.  Another user in our environment had terrible slowness in Chrome and then we seen he had blocked UDP ports 80 and 443 traffic.

My question is how are people solving this issue.  Are they opening up UDP ports 80 and 443 or are they blocking the QUIC protocol?  Does anyone have security concerns about opening up these additional ports?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card