cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"sniffer capture capabilities” on 4506E with Sup7E card

hamidur.rahman
Level 1
Level 1

I need some help regarding testing the feature “sniffer capture capabilities” on 4506 with Sup7E card. I believe Cisco would allow you to perform the packet capture with Wireshark on this box. Is there any configuration doc/test that I would need to set up for testing this requirement?

Thanks

Hamidur

4 Replies 4

stephenshaw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Hamidur,

this link is very comprehensive and includes a wide range of switches, configuration examples and performance impacts:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015c612.shtml#topic6

Essentially you place the Sniffer on the a "monitor port" (the "destination") and sniff based on the "source port or VLAN."

Regards,

Steve

Thanks Stephan.

I'm more looking into "IP Traffic Export Packet Capture Enhancements" in these devices  what allows you to configure your router

to capture IP packets in a buffer within the router, and then to dump these packets into a specified memory device (i.e WireShark).

As the Sup7E (WS-X45-SUP7-E )cards are new I have a requirement to test this feature rather than SPAN/RSPAN..

Hi Hamidur,

we have a 4507 with that Sup card but don't see any options to do an actual capture (similar to what an ASA Firewall can do). Netflow can export traffic flows to a collector but that doesn't seem to be what you are trying to achieve.

Maybe someone else can confirm how this could be done.

Regards,

Steve

The Wireshark based Ethernet Analyzer on the SUP7-E is not available yet. This feature is coming out later this year. I have confirmed this with Cisco...Thanks for your response Stephen.

Hamidur.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card