cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Racing to become the DR....

CriscoSystems
Level 5
Level 5

So I understand that highest priority wins the DR election and that highest router ID is used to break ties. I also understand that a new router coming online with a higher priority than the rest won't knock down the current DR from its perch.

But when I was confirming all of this in my lab the other day (with all at priority 1 except Router G at priority 200) I noticed from the debug output that some elected themselves, or their high-router-ID neighbors as DR but then elected Router G as DR after reaching 2WAY state with it.

I set up four unconnected routers with OSPF on their token-ring interfaces, a high loopback address for each. I plugged them into my TR hub and then powered it on; so everyone would come online at the same time.

I'm just wondering about how neighbor discovery is ordered, if at all. With all except Router G at the same priority, it seems like if Routers E and F reach the 2WAY state with each other before anyone else on the segment, F (with its higher loopback address) will be elected DR, even if high-priority Router G comes online only microseconds later. Is this a luck of the draw, or is there some mechanism by which the DR election might be tarried till all neighbors are discovered?

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On a broadcast network, the hello interval default to 10 seconds. When an OSPF interface becomes active, it sends its first hello packet containing information such as: Router-ID, Authentication, Area information, MTU, Priority, etc. It also sets the DR and BDR information to 0.0.0.0 and the wait timer to be equal to the dead-interval timer (40 seconds).

During those 40 seconds, if another router does not respond with a higher priority or if the priority are equal, a higher RouterID - the router becomes the DR of that segment.

This step usually takes place after the 2-WAY process.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

foxbatreco
Level 3
Level 3

It appears the neigbors once they initialise will wait until all others have started up and ready with their state/priority.

Once 2way state is reached...it goes on to know the priority value, after which the highest priority guy is elected.

But during the period until all reach 2 way state..there could be minor delays due to which some of them get fully initialised may try to be DR for the moment.

Pls rate/mark if this helps!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: