Views
Helpful
Replies

Redirect ip address between subnet

04_TCRMCQ
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a subnet which is part of a larger network, there's no nat taking place between our network and the larger network (see the attached image for the diagram). I have a server which has a IP address of 10.38.206.131 on subnet 10.38.206.128/26 (vlan 114) which I would like to move to IP 10.38.200.150 subnet 10.38.200.0/22 (vlan 200).

However a lot of users use the IP address directly to connect to this server and there's no way to use DNS for those users.

I would like to know if it's possible to configure the switch to reroute packets destined to 10.38.206.131 to 10.38.200.150. The switch is a 6509, supervisor 720 with advanced ip ssh service IOS.

That way it would leave us some time to change the configuration on the client's computer after moving the server.

Thanks a lot

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 6509 supports NAT so that's a way to mask the IP change until you change every workstation config.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 6509 supports NAT so that's a way to mask the IP change until you change every workstation config.

Thanks Edison,

I found a link for that particular case :

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/556/12.html#topic10

However I have to make sure that making a change like that won't affect the routing for other addresses. Since it's a production switch I wouldn't want to mess things up. I'll try to find more information on the subject, if you know for sure that it's safe let me know about it.

Regards

NAT will allow you to specify what source network to involve on this rule and the destination as well.

It should not affect routing at all, if implemented properly.

On the source network interface, you will apply the ip nat inside, create the ACL to match the traffic. Destination network interface, you will apply the ip nat outside.

Make sure to test your theory in the lab and feel free to post back if you run into problems.

Thanks Edison for your answer!

Best regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card