cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redistribute two different EIGRP areas

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6

For sake of this question, let's say I have the following configs below. I need to redistribute Router 2 eigrp area 20 into Router 1 eigrp area 10. I put the redistribute eigrp 10 under area 20 conigs on both routers but it did not work. Please help

Router 1

router eigrp 10

network 172.16.0.0 0.0.0.255

Router 2

eigrp 10

network 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.255

passive-interface g0/1

eigrp stub connected

router eigrp 20

network 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not sure I follow what you are trying to achieve unless it is a lab. 

Why would you need two EIGRP processes on a stub router ie. I would have thought the hub would be where you did any redistribution. 

As for the passive interface you haven't said which interface that is so not possible to comment on that. 

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I put the redistribute eigrp 10 under area 20 configs on both routers

There isn't an EIGRP 20 on router 1 in your post ? 

Perhaps explain your problem a little more clearly. 

Jon

Sorry router eigrp 20 is there on Router 1 as well.
I figured out what my problem was as I was not advertising a same shared network in both Routers for the same area.
Another question however, for a router that only needs to one other router, is it best to configure a "passive-interface" and "eigrp stub connected" config under the eigrp area?

If the router only has one way out then yes EIGRP stub is a sensible thing to do. 

Not sure about the passive statement, if you mean on the interface connecting to other router then no  you don;t want it passive but if you mean for interfaces with no other EIGRP neighbors then yes sensible thing to do again. 

Jon

OK so basically on router AS on the stub router has the following:
Stub Router
router eigrp 20
passive-interface g0/1
eigrp stub connected.

On that stub router, I created another AS an successfully redistributed it into the hub router, however I only put the following (I am not showing all networks for example sake):
Stub Router
router eigrp 30
network 11.11.11.0 0.0.0.255
eigrp stub connected.

Not sure I follow what you are trying to achieve unless it is a lab. 

Why would you need two EIGRP processes on a stub router ie. I would have thought the hub would be where you did any redistribution. 

As for the passive interface you haven't said which interface that is so not possible to comment on that. 

Jon

Yes I am testing new IP schema so I created it on a lab router that connects to hub router.
Passive interface is on the interface that connects to the hub router.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card