Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant links recommendation

Chris_78
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

We are trying to setup our second floor with redundant Internet links as shown on the graph below. We have 2 cables from Floor 1 to Floor 2 my initial idea is to hook them and playing with STP priority ... any better ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Chris

Capture.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Chris,

That should work. Are you planning to simply trunk the connections between  NXOS1, NXOS2  and NXOS4 and NXOS5?

This should work fine and STP should not be an issue as you don't have any loop (NXOS1, NXOS2 are not connected together and neither NXOS4 and NXOS5). Just make sure to make one of the switches your STP root (maybe NXOS1) and the other one backup root (maybe NXOS2) in case of any STP issue issues in the future.

HTH 

View solution in original post

27 Replies 27

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Chris,

Have a look at this link (figure 6 and 7) regarding STP and vPC. This is if you are planning to run vPC between each set of switches.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-7000-series-switches/C07-572834-00_STDG_NX-OS_vPC_DG.pdf

HTH

I have only 2 physical links between Floor 1 and Floor 2 that's why I don't think I can go VPC between the NXOS pairs.Correct me if i'm wrong!

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if the links you were mentioned floor 1 to floor2, why not make it  Port-channel ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

If I go port-channel from Floor 1 -> Floor 2, that means I have to terminate both links in ONE switch which is defeating the purpose of redundancy as this one switch is becoming single point of failure.

As per your orginal post, i was in impression First Floor Switches are in  vPC right ?  please confirm ?

BB

@balaji.bandi 

1. NXOS1+NXOS2 are providing VPC for the firewall -

2. NXOS4 and NXOS5 also VPC providers for the PC and VoIP switches

The connections between both pairs of NXOS switches is unknown, we are installing two cat6 cables between the floors I just wonder how should I configure both NXOS pairs so we get a full redundancy on the Floor 2 towards the FW on Floor 1.

Note: The VPCs on Floor 2 are not requirement but we want to have redundancy there anyway. 

I'm sorry about poor description earlier 

The basic Question still not answered, is NX01 and NX02  are part of vPC ? or they are work as individual Switch ?

if they work individual, how does your redundant cable solve the issue ? since they are only single leg connection.

Until i miss something here  not sure.

BB

@balaji.bandi 

Hi Balaji 

Yes they are in VPC domain as I refereed here "NXOS1+NXOS2 are providing VPC for the firewall"

Thanks!

Chris

May i have missed some here..if they are vPC you can build port-channel between these.

as suggested make sure single homed connection do not have redundency here..that is the limitation.

Server has dual nic connected to both the switches can have redundandency.

BB

Are the two switches in each floor linked together? If so, Virtual Port Channel (vPC).

---
Please mark this post as helpful if you found it, well, helpful.

@danjmcintyre 

Both pair of NXOS switches are providing VPC as shown on the drawing

1. NXOS1+NXOS2 - VPC for the firewall

2. NXOS4 and NXOS5 - VPC for the PC and VoIP switches

Chris,

In order for the redundancy to work correctly, you need to have redundant connections between the switches.  If cabling is an issue, you can use this design but have to rely on end devices for redundancy. Another word, if the switch that is connected to pc1 goes down, pc1 NIC should failover to the other NIC and take the path to the other switch.  You would have to test this to make sure this actually works and the NIC team on the end devices can provide the redundancy needed.

HTH

@Reza Sharifi 

Hi Reza 

The only issue is the connection between the NXOS pairs - NXOS1, NXOS2 -> NXOS4 and NXOS5 the end / access switches are no problem and client access is not an issue. I just try to figure out the setup for the two links ---- between the floors. Thats pretty much it. I want to make sure the access switches PC and VoIP can provide interrupted connectivity towards the FW.

Hi Chris,

That should work. Are you planning to simply trunk the connections between  NXOS1, NXOS2  and NXOS4 and NXOS5?

This should work fine and STP should not be an issue as you don't have any loop (NXOS1, NXOS2 are not connected together and neither NXOS4 and NXOS5). Just make sure to make one of the switches your STP root (maybe NXOS1) and the other one backup root (maybe NXOS2) in case of any STP issue issues in the future.

HTH 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco