Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant Switch for Server Farm

sugatada9
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

this is a Design question. I saw server farm designed with top of the rack design where 2 Cisco 3750 used as a stack for redundancy. Then they were connected to 6500. Now my question is is there any way we can use any L2 switch as server farm in place of switch like Cisco 3750 which may save some cost?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

The 2960s series switches are stackable just like the 3750 series. So you can have the same level of redundancy

HTH
Reza

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If I remember correctly, both the 3750X and the 2960S have individual backplanes that have enough bandwidth for all their ports.  However, the stack itself is a different matter.

The 3750X offers more bandwidth for StackWisePlus rather than FlexStack and manages stack "better".  StackWisePlus's "better" becomes more important as the number of stack members increase.

Years ago I designed (and we implemented) a datacenter using center of rack stacks of 3750Es connected to 6509s.  Reason for CoR,  I could vary number of units/stack in any row to control performance in the stack vs. uplinks.  We were also replacing CoR chassis, so it also avoided recabling.  We ran these stacks as L2, but with 3750E, we could also do L3 at the edge if needed.  This was before the Nexus series was announced.  For a datacenter you might want to also look at them, with their fabric extenders, and/or the just announced 6800ia.

Also for successors to the 3750X, the 3850 offers much, much more stack bandwidth and there's also the rather recent 2960-X with FlexStack-Plus.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Sure, if the 3750,s cost is too high for you and you just need layer 2, you can use the 2960s series

Here is the data sheet

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/product_data_sheet0900aecd80322c0c.html

HTH

Hi Reza,

thnks for the reply. I was wondering as 2 cisco 3750 can be used as one switch with help of stacking, how we can achieve same level of redundancy with 2960? What we need to configure?

Hi,

The 2960s series switches are stackable just like the 3750 series. So you can have the same level of redundancy

HTH
Reza

Ok thats great! Do you know what is the backplane capacity in 3750 & 2960? also mpps on both them? just I was thinking how comfortably I can replace a 3750 with 2960.

You would need to look at the data sheet for each platform to get the detail numbers

Please rate and mark the post as answered so others can benefit from it

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If I remember correctly, both the 3750X and the 2960S have individual backplanes that have enough bandwidth for all their ports.  However, the stack itself is a different matter.

The 3750X offers more bandwidth for StackWisePlus rather than FlexStack and manages stack "better".  StackWisePlus's "better" becomes more important as the number of stack members increase.

Years ago I designed (and we implemented) a datacenter using center of rack stacks of 3750Es connected to 6509s.  Reason for CoR,  I could vary number of units/stack in any row to control performance in the stack vs. uplinks.  We were also replacing CoR chassis, so it also avoided recabling.  We ran these stacks as L2, but with 3750E, we could also do L3 at the edge if needed.  This was before the Nexus series was announced.  For a datacenter you might want to also look at them, with their fabric extenders, and/or the just announced 6800ia.

Also for successors to the 3750X, the 3850 offers much, much more stack bandwidth and there's also the rather recent 2960-X with FlexStack-Plus.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: