cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Removing Then Adding new Member - 2960-X

cjdiener16
Level 1
Level 1

I have a bit of a strange situation. We have a multi-floor building, each floor having its own switch (or switch stack if needed). We are using 2960-X LAN switches, all running 15.2(2)E6. Our first floor switch stack has one 24 port and one 48 port switch in a stack. Our second floor has one 48 port switch.

These floors have run out of ports so I bought another 48 port switch. I want to replace the first floor 24-port switch with the new 48-port and then move the 24-port to the second floor. End game being first floor has two 48-port switches in its stack and second floor has one 24-port and one 48-port switch in a stack.I have all of the necessary hardware to add the stack to the second floor.

My question is, can I just remove the 24-port switch from the first floor stack and replace it with the 48-port? I should think that this will cause issues. If it is that easy, should I reboot the switch that's now by itself?

Also, once I have the 24-port out of the stack, do I just format it and then plug it into the second floor switch?

Thanks for any help, I'm still kind of new to switch stacks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have a look at this link for adding a new member to a stack and also removing a member from a stack. For removing, you have to unprevision the switch first and for adding you want to prevision it first before adding. Also, before adding a new switch to the stack, make sure the new switch is turned off, the stack cable is connected and than turn on the switch.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/stack_manager/configuration_guide/b_stck_152ex_2960-x_cg/b_stck_152ex_2960-x_cg_chapter_010.html#ref_1315958

HTH

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have a look at this link for adding a new member to a stack and also removing a member from a stack. For removing, you have to unprevision the switch first and for adding you want to prevision it first before adding. Also, before adding a new switch to the stack, make sure the new switch is turned off, the stack cable is connected and than turn on the switch.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/stack_manager/configuration_guide/b_stck_152ex_2960-x_cg/b_stck_152ex_2960-x_cg_chapter_010.html#ref_1315958

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card