cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace SUP 6-E with a SUP 7-E

cacravero
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, I have a customer with a 4507R-E Chasis with a Supervisor 6-E 10GB (X2) with redundancy. They are buying a new chasis for other site, a 4507R+E with Supervisor 7-E. They wan to configure VSS between this two 4507 chasis. My question is if I can replace the Sup 6-E with the Sup 7-E and what I have to do to replace the Sup 6-E with the Sup 7-E.

Please, forgive my English, it's horrible.

3 Replies 3

bsiapco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, cacravero.

You can actually replace the supervisor engine but there are requirements.The Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series Supervisor Engine 7-E is supported only in Cisco IOS Software and its not supported in the Cisco Catalyst Operating System Software. The minimum software version is as follows:
● Supervisor Engine 7-E, Cisco IOS XE Software Release 3.1.0 SG

For further assistance you can email me directly at (bsiapco@cisco.com)

Happy to Serve!

Barry

Thanks Barry

So, according with your answer, I would have to install Cisco IOS instead of use CATOS on my new Sup 7-E?, Can I do that?.

I thought that if you buy a new Sup 7-E it came with the IOS pre-installed.

Hello, cacravero.

Yes, a new Sup 7-E should already have IOS XE pre-installed upon purchase. However, you need to pick from the three IOS XE packages (LAN Base, IP Base or Enterprise Services). Are you already working with any of your local Cisco partner or rep on this concern as well?

Let me know if you have additional concerns or e-mail (bsiapco@cisco.com) me directly. Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco