cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacement of Router 6800 in VSS, chassis id 1 active Defective

lisandro
Level 1
Level 1

Dear very good morning, we have to replace one of the members of two 6800 routers that are configured with VSS.

The one we need to replace is asset id_1.

I'm looking for a best practice procedure to do it and not give problems at the configuration level and that everything continues to work for chassis id_2 (stamby) while chassis 1 is replaced.

Could someone with experience in these replacements help me, thank you very much in advance

Cisco IOS Software, c6848x Software (c6848x-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 15.4(1)SY1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc8)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sounds pretty good.

5 - I install the new chassis in the rack (chassis already configured as in the previous one)
switch virtual domain 10
switch mode virtual
switch 1 priority 90 (Here I have doubts, I put 90 so that it is always active but the operational router has priority 100 as well as the standby)
I don't know whether to leave it at 100 or 90

"The higher the priority the more likely you will become the active switch. Switch 1 will have a priority of 110 and switch 2 a priority of 100. This means SW1-VSS will become the active switch."

I´ve see guides where both have the same priority. But, if you want to keep the id_1 device as active, put priority 110 on the new one.

In the worst case they will reboot and define the active and standby after that.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Hi

why are you replacing "asset id_1." ? Is it because it is not working or any other reason?

Hello Flavio, thank you very much for answering.
I am about to replace it because many ports are failing and I got another router to replace it

Ports on the supervisor failing or normal line cards? 

If not in the supervisor, you can use the same on the new chassis and the replacement could be more like a physical work replacement. 

The ports that fail are from the normal line card, not from the supervisor.
So what you are telling me is that I can copy the same configuration that we currently have working on the new router and make the physical replacement, is that correct?

Is it necessary to also turn off the other router id_2? or can I just turn off the failing router so that router id_2 continues to work?

What I would do, If I were you:

In a Maintenance window -

1- Turn off the id_1 device and make sure the redundancy is working fine. You should have not problem here as the id_2 will take over. 

2- Remove all the cables

3- Remove the Supervisor from id_1.

4- Uninstall the chassis of id_1 from the rack

5 - Install the new chassis on the rack

6 - Install the supervisor (from old id_1) on the new chassis

7 - Reconnect the cable

If the problem is not on the supervisor, use the same supervisor. But, if you want to replace the supervisor then you need to transfer the configuration from the old one to the new one. 

For supervisor replacement you can use a guide like this one

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/91897-replace-frsm-cat65k.html

Thank you very much Flavio for taking the time to list the steps,

We are not going to replace the supervisor in this case.

What I'm going to do is copy the settings, so the steps would be as follows: Unlike the steps you sent me, I delete steps 3 and 6. Let me know if that's okay with you.

1- Turn off the device id_1. I make sure that the redundancy works correctly. You shouldn't have any problems here as id_2 will take over.

2- I remove all the cables

3- I uninstall the chassis id_1 from the rack

5 - I install the new chassis in the rack (chassis already configured as in the previous one)
switch virtual domain 10
switch mode virtual
switch 1 priority 90 (Here I have doubts, I put 90 so that it is always active but the operational router has priority 100 as well as the standby)

interface Port-channel1
description VSS_link1
no switchport
no ip address
no platform qos channel-consistency
switch virtual link 1

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1/24
description VSS
no switchport
no ip address
no cdp enable
channel-group 1 mode on

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1/40
description VSS
no switchport
no ip address
no cdp enable
channel-group 1 mode on

7 - I reconnect the cables

Esta bien para ti?

Sounds pretty good.

switch virtual domain 10
switch mode virtual

"The higher the priority the more likely you will become the active switch. Switch 1 will have a priority of 110 and switch 2 a priority of 100. This means SW1-VSS will become the active switch."

I´ve see guides where both have the same priority. But, if you want to keep the id_1 device as active, put priority 110 on the new one.

In the worst case they will reboot and define the active and standby after that.

lisandro
Level 1
Level 1

Muchas gracias, sus recomendaciones ayudaron  mucho

Por nada meu amigo! Conte sempre com essa comunidade!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card