cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing a Sup2 with MSFC2 on a 6509

robluechtefeld
Level 1
Level 1

I had a sup2 fail on my 6509.  I switched over to the standby sup and everything is fine.  Cisco has sent me a replacement supervisor and I am getting ready to install it in the switch.

My 6509 is a hybrid switch and is configured for high availability and single router mode.  I know that when I install the replacement supervisor the active supervisor will sync the CatOS and configuration to the new sup, but what I don't know is if the MSFC will be handled the same way?  Will the active MSFC sync the IOS to the new MSFC?

3 Replies 3

adouthit66
Level 1
Level 1

The new Sup2 must have the sam cat0s and IOS as the active supervisor.

Actually the active sup will sync the CatOS to the standby sup if they are different.  I'm just unaware if the MSFC will do the same thing.

robluechtefeld wrote:

Actually the active sup will sync the CatOS to the standby sup if they are different.  I'm just unaware if the MSFC will do the same thing.

No it won't (the MSFC bit i mean, you are right about the CatOS bit). You need to manually copy the IOS onto both MSFCs. If you haven't already see this link have a look as it is a step by step procedure to upgrade hybrid on redundant supervisors -

6500 hybrid upgrade

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card