Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing Cat 6509 Fan blade

Hi all,

I have scheduled to replace a fan blade of a running Catalyst 6509 system, and I do not expect any downtime. If I remember well I have about 5 minutes to do so, else the system will automatically shut down. However, I cannot find any reference to confirm this. Who can help me out?

Thanks and regards,

Marco

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Marco,

The Fan Trays are redundant, so you can replace one of them while in production.  I have not heard of 5 minute time limit.

Here is the instruction on how to replace the fan tray:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Chassis_Installation/Cat6500/04remrep.html#wp1088910

HTH

Reza

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marco

Just to add to Reza's post. I haven't heard of the 5 minute limit either.

The fan trays are indeed meant to be removable while the switch is live as are the linecards. The only thing i would say it that most of the time it has worked fine for me but then i have experienced the odd one that brought the whole sytem down.

Personally, if possible i like to do these things out of hours when a downtime would have far less impact.

Jon

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The only way it would shutdown is if you leave the fantray out for an extended period of time and the internal temperatures reach critical levels , it will shutdown the switch at that point.  For a fantray replacement this should not be an issue .

Amit Aneja
Level 3
Level 3

There is no set time that the system will shut down if the fan tray is

failed or removed. However, if the fan tray is not replaced the temperature

monitoring function may shut down the system if it begins to get too hot.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card