Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing Cisco 6504 Faulty device

balachandhars
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Thanks to this forum and its members for all the support I had received until now.

We have our DataCenter core switches composed of redundant 2*Cisco 6504 switches. The redundant switch / Chassis went down due to hardware issue and we have got the replacement switch available now.

Can I plug in the new Switch to make it available as secondary - HOT STANDBY switch / SUP WITHOUT making any new configuration here? Please update me with your suggestions. Is the redundancy HOT SWAPPABLE as with Cisco 3750 in Cisco 6504?

Thanks,

Bala

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Bala,

When you say:

We have our DataCenter core switches composed of redundant 2*Cisco 6504  switches. The redundant switch / Chassis went down due to hardware issue  and we have got the replacement switch available now.

Are you talking about HSRP/VRRP redundancy or hardware redundancy.  If you are talking about HSRP/VRRP, you can configure the new switch to be in the same VRRP/HSRP group and bring it up as the stand-by switch.

If you are refereeing to hardware redundancy i.e. sup redundancy or chassis redundancy then your switches need to be configured as VSS, so one switch would be the primary and the other switch stand-by, but you need specific hardware like sup-720-VS or sup-2T with specific line cards to be able to do this.

Can you provide more details as what you are trying to do?

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card