cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset and Recovery Password Username 2960 / 3560 switches

Cisco10956
Level 1
Level 1

I am attempting to reset the password on a Cisco 3560 switch, And I am following the steps in the "Password Recovery Procedure for the Cisco Catalyst Fixed Configuration Layer 2 and Layer 3 Switches"  document and I am still having problems.

In step I3 I use   enable secret examplePW1  then I use  enable password examplePW2, when the switch is reloaded or booted I keep getting a login for a username.  " What would I be doing wrong.

My question is can I Reset the password and username with these commands in step 13. and Keep my original config.text

enable secret level 5 password
username admin privilege 15 secret 5 cisco

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Yes you can, once renamed the running config you can execute that command lines. For the last line you must included the encrypted password instead, like: $1$BZoh$pVi7YVm.JJ.mW73tlgyGn otherwise you will receive an error message.

username admin privilege 15 secret 5 $1$BZoh$pVi7YVm.JJ.mW73tlgy$

Please rate the comment if it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi

Have you followed these steps? 

http://www.cahilig.net/2014/04/14/how-reset-cisco-2960-switch-password-without-losing-your-configuration

On the last steps you need to rename the config file again, make the changes and save the config. Once it is completed you can verify it restarting the switch.

Hope it is useful

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi Julio

Yes - I have followed the instruction.

Can I use these commands in place of the ones in the document.

enable secret level 5 Cisco
username admin privilege 15 secret 5 cisco

Hi

Yes you can, once renamed the running config you can execute that command lines. For the last line you must included the encrypted password instead, like: $1$BZoh$pVi7YVm.JJ.mW73tlgyGn otherwise you will receive an error message.

username admin privilege 15 secret 5 $1$BZoh$pVi7YVm.JJ.mW73tlgy$

Please rate the comment if it is useful

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

the switch prompting for a user/pw login could be due to AAA or line vty authentication config.

could you post a sanitized show run to verify?

yes, you can set the passwords you want (local user, enable, line pw) and retain other config in the switch.

make sure to rename the old config to .text and load it to running-config:

#rename flash:config.old flash:config.text
#copy flash:config.text system:running-config

you can now re-configure switch passwords at this point. issue a write mem afterwards.

Cisco10956
Level 1
Level 1

Thank You Sir

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card