cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Response time for a ping command

John Garrett
Level 1
Level 1

What are accecptable response times for a ping response on a LAN?  I have a workstation that when I ping the machine I get responses up to 250ms.  Is this accecptable or is that to slow?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Between hosts on the same (physical) LAN?

If so, 250ms does seem rather slow, although many hosts treat ping replies with low prority, so a really busy host's ping responses may jump quite a bit.

High latency like that, could also be indicative of queuing latency, although most LAN devices don't allow for such queuing delays, at LAN bandwidths, before packets are dropped (from lack of queue/buffer space).

Hi John, 

The baseline for what is acceptable varies somewhat depending on connection type and ping destination relative to the device, also the topology of the LAN itself. 

In general, though, 250ms is quite long. The workstations on my network can ping the local router in under 10ms. You likely have an unacceptable amount of latency in your network. 

Best of luck, 

- Jakob

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card