cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Restore Configuration via TFTP

Louis Adams
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to overwrite the startup config file on a cisco 2960 switch.  I am issuing the following command

copy tftp: startup-config 

I go through the prompts and I am getting the following error

#copy tftp: startup-config
Address or name of remote host [172.16.0.25]?
Source filename [tempmikeshop-conf]?
Destination filename [startup-config]?
Accessing tftp://172.16.0.25/tempmikeshop-conf...
%Error opening tftp://172.16.0.25/tempmikeshop-conf (No such file or directory)

I am able to copy the current running config to the tfpt server.  

in the tftp server directory there is a file called    tempmikeshop-conf

any idea what could be the issue?

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No such file or directory

So this means the file is either missing or has the wrong filename (maybe a filename extension, perhaps) or the file specified is not found in the directory of TFTP.  

I am able to copy the current running config to the tfpt server.  

So this could only mean the TFTP server is "looking" at the wrong sub-directory.

There is no file extension as far as I can see.  Should there be?  if so is it supposed to be txt? cause it does not show even if you unhide the hide known ext option in windows.  It for sure is in the same directory as when it copies it too.

Firewall? 

Please try a different computer.

No Firewall, I am able to upload files to the same computer I am using to try and download.

Some TFTP servers have a "virtual root" that can be set, and it navigates from there.

From %Error opening tftp://172.16.0.25/tempmikeshop-conf (No such file or directory), it might be looking at either the root of the file system; or root of the TFTP server's file space. 

Other thing might be perlmissions on the file space to the TFTP process; although you indicated you can upload TFTP configs with no issue?  You can find these files on the TFTP server where you expect them?  Does the TFTP server have any kind of log that may have better information on where it was looking for the file?

Ok,

I think I was going about this the wrong way.  What I am now doing is copy the current startup config to flash as start.txt.  Then copied start.txt to tftp server.  Then deleted the startup config on the switch and rebooted switch.  After reboot and all config gone.  I copied the start.txt file from the tftp server to flash.  Then copied start.txt to startup config and rebooted the switch.  and all the config was back.  I did all this with the same tftp server. 

So I think the issue is either with the file name ie not having an extension it just says  xxxx-conf.  or it is the fact that I am trying to copy directly to the startup config from the tftp server.

Ok,

I did some more testing and have figured out it is the file name.  The mistake I made was when I copied the startup config file from the switch to the tftp server, I did not append .txt.  If I add the .txt to the file name destination.  Then I can copy the file from tftp to startup config no problems.  So I am not sure what ext the normal startup config and running configs have but that was the problem.  I tried to manually add .txt to the file after I copied it and no luck.  So I guess you have to add the .txt to the config files when you copy them to tftp and or flash for that matter I guess.

chanthornloeurt
Level 1
Level 1

Backup and Restore configuration on Cisco Switch and Cisco ASA

+ Copy the configuration to the TFTP server (Backup Configuration)

ASA-HQ# copy running-config tftp:

Source filename [running-config]?

Address or name of remote host []? 172.18.10.1

Destination filename [running-config]?
Cryptochecksum: 4a054a7f ad1fad8e b70e3d82 9eeb4a4f

86746 bytes copied in 0.570 secs
ASA-HQ#
===============================
+ Copy the configuration on TFTP server to ASA (Restore Configuration)

ciscoasa#
ciscoasa# copy tftp running-config

Address or name of remote host [172.18.10.1]?

Source filename [startup-config]? startup-config

Destination filename [running-config]?

Accessing tftp://172.18.10.1/startup-config...!!!
!

## Login ##

login as: cisco
cisco@172.18.10.12's password:
User cisco logged in to ASA-HQ
Logins over the last 1 days: 2. Last login: 14:45:13 ICT Feb 25 2022 from 172.18.10.1
Failed logins since the last login: 0.
Type help or '?' for a list of available commands.
ASA-HQ> en
Password: ***********
ASA-HQ#

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card