Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Roll back ios in 3750x switch stack

We have a particular switch stack consisting of three 3750Xs.  Recently, I tried to boot to an older ios (it was already in flash) on the whole stack.  After I issued the command and reloaded, the master switch powered down and wouldn't power back up until we unplugged it from the redundant supply chain.  When it came back up, it was running the older ios (the one I changed it to).  Obviously, with a version mismatch, it is no longer functional in the stack.  So, my question is, how do I reload that same ios to the two switches that are still in the stack?  Do I need to do them individually, or can I try them both?  And what is the best way to do either method?  Remember, the ios I need to go back to is already in flash.  Thanks!

13 Replies 13

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Since the IOS is already in flash, you can try adding the boot variable command for switch 2, 3, etc.. using "boot system switch 2 flash-2: <ios you want to load> Where 2 is the second switch in the stack.  If you have 3 switches than add the same statement with flash-3 in it, save config and than reload the switches.

HTH 

Reza,

Thanks for your response. When typing the reload command, will both the switches reboot simultaneously, or will the master reboot first, then the other one?

Chris,

If you issue "reload" from the master, it will reload all switches.  If you want to reload say switch-2, issue "reload slot 2" which should reload switch-2 only. It may be better to reload them all during a maintenance window.

HTH

Ok, thanks. I'll be scheduling an ASI within a day or two and I'll try to remember to give an update. Thanks for your help!

Reza,

I just finished with the reload. All is well except now another switch in the stack won't power back on either - just like the first one I mentioned previously. The difference is, no matter what I do with the redundant power supply links, it still won't power on. In fact, it makes a loud noise; kind of like it's booting up, but much louder. I'm doing a little research now. Just let me know what you think.

Chris,

Unplug the power cords from the PSUs, wait for about 30 to 45 seconds and than plug the power cords back in.

HTH

I have already tried unplugging the power cord from the switch in question, as well as the redundant links, and it didn't work. Do you suggest unplugging all the redundant power links from all the switches and just leaving the main power cable?

Try it. It may help.

Also, since these are 3750x, make sure the switch in question is not getting power from another switch using the stack power cable.

Thanks again. I'll give it a try in the morning and let you know.

Reza,

Long story short, we're going to RMA that switch. Nothing that we tried worked. We grabbed a spare 3850 and threw it in the stack and we're back in business. I really appreciate all your help.

-Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the update and good luck!

Reza

You added a 3850 to a 3750 stack?  This was just a typo?

Lol, yes that was a typo. I'm glad you caught that.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card