Views
Helpful
Replies

Routed port priority

Laurent Soffray
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a 4503 switch, two 3560 and a couple of 2960.

I've created a L3 route between the 4503 and the first 3560. I've linked the first 3560 and a 2960 with a L2 link and then link this 2960 to the second 3560 with a L2 link.

Now, I want to add another L3 routed link between the second 3560 and my 4503.

I know that I'm going to create a loop, and that's why I want to know how to set the priority between two routed ports on two differents switches.

I know that there's no STP for the routed port.

Can you help me?

3 Replies 3

Laurent Soffray
Level 1
Level 1

I've found the answer:

HSRP.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

lsoffray1 wrote:

Hello,

I have a 4503 switch, two 3560 and a couple of 2960.

I've created a L3 route between the 4503 and the first 3560. I've linked the first 3560 and a 2960 with a L2 link and then link this 2960 to the second 3560 with a L2 link.

Now, I want to add another L3 routed link between the second 3560 and my 4503.

I know that I'm going to create a loop, and that's why I want to know how to set the priority between two routed ports on two differents switches.

I know that there's no STP for the routed port.

Can you help me?

Laurent

You won't create a loop that way.

A L2 loop is concerned with the physical connections within your network and that is what STP does ie. it blocks links so that there can be no loop.

A L3 loop has very little to do with physical connections, it is more to do with a router having a route to a network that points back to the router that sent it the information. This can be caused by a number of things redistribution being one of the more common issues.

What you describe ie. each 3560 connected to the 4500 with a L3 routed port is a common setup and works very well. The 4500 will see 2 equal cost paths to each destination on the 3560's and so will automatically use both links for forwarding traffic. This will not create a loop.

Jon

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Laurent,

the scenario that you describe is quite common in campus networks:

the use of L3 point to point links provide you the capability to handle link redundancy at OSI layer 3: no problems of loops and no need for STP

forget for a moment that these are switches and look at them as routers:

all you need are two static routes on C4503 one with next-hop = C3560_1 ip address on first L3 p2p link, second static route with next-hop = C3560_2 ip address on second L3 p2p link

each C3560 will probably have a default static route using the appropriate C4503 IP address (that on the L3 link between the two devices) as next-hop.

both C3560 need to have an SVI interface on the common Vlan/IP subnet (with a different IP address on each)  and HSRP could be used there not towards the C4503.

The fact that the Vlan/broadcast domain associated to the IP subnet can have a redundant L2 topology is handled by the two C3560 using STP but from the point of view of the C4503 this is not of direct interest.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card