Helpful
Replies

Router 1841 erase static rutes by itself

rommelotero
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone

Sorry for the mistakes, english in not my first language

And having a problem with a router 1841, its deleting and static route by itself

First I thought I didnt save configuration and due to a electric failure It reboot and lose what a I did, so I place them again tested then and save the configuration

We had another power failure (Im from Venezuela, it happends a lot) and then the device erase again the static route

any Ideas why? I mean i just that specific route because I have made some other changes and those were kepted after this failure

I did a control test and is the same, use "copy running-config startup-config" to save and then "reload" and is not saving this route

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@Richard Burts wrote:

Thanks for the update. It is good to know that when you configure the static route that the new route is in the startup config. That pretty clearly means that it is an issue at boot time. I wonder if updating the boot loader might help. But given that the 1841 is well past its end of support date I do not know how you would get an updated version. So it seems to me that we need to experiment and see which parameter (or combination of parameters) is causing this static route to be rejected.

HTH

Rick

Hello

I get the boot log and there is this error

ip route 192.168.185.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.53.7 name Navibus Pto La Cruz track 1 ^69

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

ip route 192.168.187.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.53.7 name Navibus Pta Piedras track 1 ^69

ip route 192.168.186.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.53.7 name Navibus PMV track 169
^

It seems that is not taking the ("") for name descrption so I changed it and the route was kept

Problem solved

but I wonder why on the other routes wasnt that problem?

Anyway thank you very much for your help and assistant

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Martin L
VIP
VIP

anything else missing after reload? add some description to interfaces and some other configs, save, reload. is it there?

@Martin L wrote:

anything else missing after reload? add some description to interfaces and some other configs, save, reload. is it there?

I just added and username and the statict route, did reload after saving and the username was kept but the static route was gone

Hello,

the 1841 is a very old model, end of life date was I think 2010, so you might have a problem with the flash memory. Try and reseat, or possible reformat, the external compact flash card...

I like the suggestion of adding something else to the configuration, perhaps a description on an interface, perhaps a new user name and password, perhaps a new access list. Then configure the static route, save the config, after the reboot look for what else you added to the config.

A couple of other things occur to me. After doing copy run start have you used the command show startup to verify that your changes have been saved? Is it possible that the config register is 0x2142 instead of 0x2102? Is it possible that the router is not booting the normal startup config from nvram? Could you post the output of show run | include boot

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

@Richard Burts wrote:

I like the suggestion of adding something else to the configuration, perhaps a description on an interface, perhaps a new user name and password, perhaps a new access list. Then configure the static route, save the config, after the reboot look for what else you added to the config.

A couple of other things occur to me. After doing copy run start have you used the command show startup to verify that your changes have been saved? Is it possible that the config register is 0x2142 instead of 0x2102? Is it possible that the router is not booting the normal startup config from nvram? Could you post the output of show run | include boot

HTH

Rick

NAVIBUS_CC_PCA#show run | include boot
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker

As I mention before I added username and stactic route, after reload username ketp, static route dont

the register Configuration register is 0x2102

im not sure If I can put all the running

NAVIBUS_CC_PCA#sh run

boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
ip sla monitor 1
type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 10.10.53.4
threshold 2
frequency 10
ip sla monitor schedule 1 life forever start-time now
login on-failure log
login on-success log
!
!
!
username test privilege 15 password 7 05070F1C35431F5B4A51 ****This was ketp******
!
!
track 69 rtr 1 reachability
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
description Conexion LAN NAVIBUS
ip address 192.168.169.246 255.255.255.0
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp
ip nbar protocol-discovery
ip route-cache flow
duplex auto
speed auto
standby 169 ip 192.168.169.3
standby 169 timers 5 7
standby 169 priority 110
standby 169 preempt
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
description Conexion SKYNET
ip address 172.18.255.14 255.255.255.248
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp
ip nbar protocol-discovery
duplex auto
speed auto
!
no ip classless
ip forward-protocol nd
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.186.4 track 69
ip route 192.168.186.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.53.7 name Navibus PMV track 69 *****This one erase after reload******
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.18.255.9 254
ip route 10.10.53.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.169.240 name UBIQUITI
ip route 172.20.0.0 255.255.0.0 192.168.173.244 name SIGO
ip route 192.168.172.0 255.255.254.0 192.168.169.240 name "SIGO PCA"
ip route 192.168.185.0 255.255.255.0 172.18.255.9 254 name "Backup Navibus Pto La Cruz"
ip route 192.168.186.0 255.255.255.0 172.18.255.9 254 name "Backup Navibus PMV"
ip route 192.168.187.0 255.255.255.0 172.18.255.9 254 name "Backup Navibus Pta Piedras"

Thank you for the additional information. It is good to know that you added a user name and that the name was kept after the reload. It is especially helpful to see the configuration information. It is significant that there are a number of static routes in the configuration and that apparently only one has the problem. I wonder if the issue is with the track 69 part of the command. Could you put the static route into the config without that parameter and see if that version of the static route is kept after reload?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

@Richard Burts wrote:

Thank you for the additional information. It is good to know that you added a user name and that the name was kept after the reload. It is especially helpful to see the configuration information. It is significant that there are a number of static routes in the configuration and that apparently only one has the problem. I wonder if the issue is with the track 69 part of the command. Could you put the static route into the config without that parameter and see if that version of the static route is kept after reload?

HTH

Rick

Hello, i did some changes and the problem was the same, change description change other routes, change track number and still erase just that route

If u see the running u can see that I have a default with the track number and that is not loose after reboot so...

Thanks for the additional information. There is obviously something about this particular static route and I am trying to figure out what that is. There are several possibilities that we may need to investigate. I suggested starting by investigating the possibility that the issue might involve the track parameter. It is interesting that you have a default route which also uses that track. This might suggest that probably the track is not an issue. But I would appreciate a test which specifically determines this. So please try to create the static without the track and let us know if the behavior changes.

There are a couple of other things which we may also need to test. 1) there is another static route for this same network 192.168.186.0. Is it possible that having a second static route is a problem? (a second static should not be a problem, but this is another possibility that we need to test to eliminate the possibility). 2) This static route requires a recursive lookup (the next hop specified is not on a locally connected subnet so the router must search the routing table to find which interface the next hop will use). Is it possible that there is something about recursive lookup that is a problem?

In looking at the config I note that you have 2 default routes. One with track and one without it. Are both static routes being used after a reload?

There is another aspect of this issue that I would like to figure out. Is there some problem with configuring this static route and saving the running config? Or is the static route saved but at boot time there is something that rejects that static route? The first step in checking this would be to configure this static route, to save the running config, and to look in the startup config and see if this static route is in the startup file. Assuming that it will be then perhaps on the next reboot you might capture and post all of the console output during the boot process?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

@Richard Burts wrote:

Thanks for the additional information. There is obviously something about this particular static route and I am trying to figure out what that is. There are several possibilities that we may need to investigate. I suggested starting by investigating the possibility that the issue might involve the track parameter. It is interesting that you have a default route which also uses that track. This might suggest that probably the track is not an issue. But I would appreciate a test which specifically determines this. So please try to create the static without the track and let us know if the behavior changes.

There are a couple of other things which we may also need to test. 1) there is another static route for this same network 192.168.186.0. Is it possible that having a second static route is a problem? (a second static should not be a problem, but this is another possibility that we need to test to eliminate the possibility). 2) This static route requires a recursive lookup (the next hop specified is not on a locally connected subnet so the router must search the routing table to find which interface the next hop will use). Is it possible that there is something about recursive lookup that is a problem?

In looking at the config I note that you have 2 default routes. One with track and one without it. Are both static routes being used after a reload?

There is another aspect of this issue that I would like to figure out. Is there some problem with configuring this static route and saving the running config? Or is the static route saved but at boot time there is something that rejects that static route? The first step in checking this would be to configure this static route, to save the running config, and to look in the startup config and see if this static route is in the startup file. Assuming that it will be then perhaps on the next reboot you might capture and post all of the console output during the boot process?

HTH

Rick

Hello

Thanks for the advice

Right now I cant take an output of the botting process ´cause Im not at the same location, however I´ll try with the support on site to get it

I did a sh running and sh start up and both are the same, so if I undestood well I agree it is a problem at booting.

So first I will try the routes without the track parameter and see what happends and see if support can help me so I dont have to go to that site

Thanks for the update. It is good to know that when you configure the static route that the new route is in the startup config. That pretty clearly means that it is an issue at boot time. I wonder if updating the boot loader might help. But given that the 1841 is well past its end of support date I do not know how you would get an updated version. So it seems to me that we need to experiment and see which parameter (or combination of parameters) is causing this static route to be rejected.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

@Richard Burts wrote:

HTH

Rick

Hello

I get the boot log and there is this error

ip route 192.168.185.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.53.7 name Navibus Pto La Cruz track 1 ^69

ip route 192.168.187.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.53.7 name Navibus Pta Piedras track 1 ^69

ip route 192.168.186.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.53.7 name Navibus PMV track 169
^

It seems that is not taking the ("") for name descrption so I changed it and the route was kept

Problem solved

but I wonder why on the other routes wasnt that problem?

Anyway thank you very much for your help and assistant

@Georg Pauwen wrote:

Hello,

the 1841 is a very old model, end of life date was I think 2010, so you might have a problem with the flash memory. Try and reseat, or possible reformat, the external compact flash card...

I´ll try this but I need first find a remplace flash jut in case and open a maintenace windows because is on production so...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: