Views
Helpful
Replies

Router on a stick

lucad7846
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

I am trying to create a simple design using the router on a stick model.  

I have created a few vlans, configured the trunk port on the switch and everything seems to be working fine. I can ping all the devices etc etc. 

Now I would like to add a laptop and connect it wirelessly. 

I have created the following vlans 

vlan 10 pc0 - ip address 192.168.10.10/24 

vlan 20 pc1 - ip address 192.168.20.10/24 

vlan 30 pc2 - ip address 192.168.30.10/24 

I want vlan 30 to be the "management vlan" so I gave the switch an ip of 192.168.30.2

Router has sub interfaces as follows vlan 10 192.168.10.1 - vlan 20 192.168.20.1 - vlan 30 192.166.30.1

I want to include the laptop on vlan 30 so I gave it an ip address of 192.168.30.11/24 added a wireless access point and gave it a static ip address of 192.168.30.3 and I get this overlapping error "192.168.30.1 255.255.255.0 overlaps with internet" either that or overlaps with vlan1. 

As mentioned above the 192.168.30.1 would be the address of the sub interface on the router for vlan 30

Without the access point everything works fine. Any help on how to fix this would be very much appreciated. 

Needless to say I am a beginner.

Thanks in advance

Cheers  

11 Replies 11

Hello,

is this a Packet Tracer project ? If so, post the zipped project file...

Hi 

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

It looks like the issue is with the wireless access point configuration. The laptop can't ping any other hosts. I think I have fixed the overlap but I still the laptop can't communicate. Can you check the configuration of the wireless access point and let me know please? Attached is the zip folder with the PT file. 

Thanks so so much in advance

Hello,

the subnet on the LAN side of the wireless router needs to be a unique one. I used 192.168.40.0/24. Also, the wireless router and the other router need to be connected through a different subnet (I used 192.168.50.0/24). The router needs a static route to the 192.168.40.0/24 network.

Attached the revised file...

Hi 

I just noticed that in the with the set up you provided, if I ping from the laptop to any other pc the ping is successful. However, if ping in the opposite direction, from any pc to the laptop the ping times out and fails. Why would that be? 

Many thanks in advance 

lucad7846
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Thanks so very much for fixing it.

Just to clarify, now the laptop is still part of vlan 30 or not? 

Also, if I were to add another switch to the diagram to connect other pc's belonging to the existing vlans 10 20 30, would the extra switch need to be configured the exact same way as Switch1 or the configuration would be different?

In other words lets assume I had pcs belonging to the same vlans but located in different floors of a building, would I replicate the configuration for the second switch or would I need a different configuration in order for all pcs to communicate correctly? 

I am so very sorry for being a pain, this is for an assessment I been working on for a while now. I have done my research, watched videos but I am still a bit confused.

Once again thanks so very much for your help. It is hugely appreciated. 

Cheers 

Hello,

the laptop cannot be part of Vlan 30 in your setup, since it is connected to a different LAN interface (the LAN interface of the wireless router).

If you need to add more switches, these switches need to be connected by trunks, and the routing will still be done by the subinterfaces on the same router. That is typically how networks are configured, the switches are layer 2, and the router-on-a-stick is used mainly because there are not enough physical interfaces...

Hope that makes sense...

Hi 

Thanks so much. 

Yes it makes sense. But what I am a bit confused with is how to configure the second switch. What I mean by that is, would I configure the same ports with the vlans as I did with Switch1 and connect the 2 switches to each other with a trunk link? 

Sorry but this stuff is a bit confusing for a newbie like myself  

Hello,

I revised your project and added a new switch. The switch can be anywhere, as long as there is a layer 2 trunk between both switches. I hope that illustrates a bit more what I mean...

Hi 

Firstly I would like to extend a huge thank you for your help and patience. 

Things are starting to make more sense now. 

There is still one little issue though. When I ping from the laptop the ping is successful, however, if I ping from a pc to the laptop the ping keeps failing.

Please see attached is a screenshot  

Once again thanks so much

Hello
attach the wifi ap to an free switchport on the switch in vlan 30 via its internet interface with an ip within vlan 30

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

lucad7846
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

Thanks so much for getting back to me. 

Right now vlan 30 uses the switchport fa0/4. How would I use the same port to attach the wireless AP? Or can I use other free ports and assign vlan 30 to the port I choose? Or maybe I am misinterpreting what you suggested. 

Please bear with me as I am a newbie as mentioned above  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card