cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router or not router

otnj2ee
Level 1
Level 1

My computer is connect to the internet via an ISP using modem (ADSL). The IP address of my PC is dynamically assigned by the ISP. Now I want to add three more PCs to the network (LAN) so that all of them can access the internet.

1)Can I do it without using a router or HomePNA? If not, what will be the other choices?

2)If, for the above case, a static IP is a must, do I need the static IP for each of the PCs on the (LAN) network?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

I did face the same kinda probs with some of the customer when they tried to upgrade their local lan from one pc to couple of pcs and they werent interested in going for a router in first place,so we decided to make that particular pc as proxy server with 2 NICs and have one public facing the ISP (ADSL) network and other side into private local lan network with RFC 1918(private address space) addressing on it.your extended lan can be addressed into that private address space.

Third party proxy servers are available in the net which can be downloaded and installed and easy to configure and maintain.

you can always have personal firewall and antivirus sotwares installed in your proxy PC to avoid any kinda of attacks..

regds

Just get the router. Most Linksys or Netgear routers will do. You could even get a wireless router so you could add this funtionality to your network. This might reduce some of that wire related mess you have.

Like said in other posts, you really dont need a high end cisco device. But if you still prefer Cisco, you can go for the 800 series router.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card