Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router using BVI connected to L3 switch

I have a router using a BVI interface that needs to be connected to my L3 Switch.

The 2 ports in the router (bridged interfaces) will be connected to other 2 access ports in the L3 switch.

The access ports in the L3 switch will be in the same VLAN where the L3 VLAN is defined.

Will STP set one port in the L3 switch as blocking so the router does not see the same L3 VLAN address via the 2 bridged interfaces ?

Thanks,

Edouard.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Edouard

If you enable bridging on 2 router ports and configure BVI (for integrated routing and bridging) and connect the router ports to access ports on the same switch and in the same vlan then I would expect that spanning tree would detect a loop and would place one port into blocking mode.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Edouard

If you enable bridging on 2 router ports and configure BVI (for integrated routing and bridging) and connect the router ports to access ports on the same switch and in the same vlan then I would expect that spanning tree would detect a loop and would place one port into blocking mode.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Richard. So that means the 2 router ports (bridged interfaces) will let pass my STP and place one port in the L3 switch into blocking mode.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card