cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routes not showing up in routing table

e.bashor
Level 1
Level 1

I have two networks connected by a private vlan connection that connects our internal network with our DR network.  We have just added a second private connection between the two networks and want to have redundancy.  Our main network router is a 3750X stack and is running a base image, so RIP is our protocol of choice.  We are running a 2621 router in our DR network.  We have configured both ends using RIP, added neighbors and a couple of networks on each end.  The DR router is showing the configured networks in its routing table, but the 3750 does not display the route sent from the DR router.  We have run debug and both devices are both are sending updates to each other and receiving updates from each other.   We are trying to figure out why the 3750 is not displaying the RIP route received from the DR router.

Hopefully, someone can help us with this.  Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't know what kind of layer 2 circuit you have got from the service provider - but if both circuits are the same size have you consider using simpler Etherchannel?  Fast fail over.  Easy routing.

You should not need to add RIP neighbours over a point to point layer 2 medium.  I would try removing this configuration (you should only need it for multipoint networks that don't support broadcast/multicast).

I assume each link is a seperate /30.  Make sure there is a network statement for each link on each routing device.

Make sure there is not any static routes overriding the RIP routers.

If you still can't get anywhere please host your routing configuration, the output of "show ip route", and the interface configurations.  Please note which subnets are on which site.

It turns out that there wasn't actually a problem.  We kept reading and reading and finally found a blurb that stated that if you have a better path configured for a route on a 3750X, the switch will not even show the RIP, or any other routing protocol, path in the table.  We were working with a production network and had statics configured.  Once we had read that, we created a new network in our DR site and added it to the rip configuration and, like magic, it appeared in the routing table on the 3750!  Once we had that figured out, we removed the static routes one at a time and the rip routes appeared.

It turned out just to be a technicality that we did not see stated in the documentation we were using.  Thanks for your responses.

Hello

We are trying to figure out why the 3750 is not displaying the RIP route received from the DR router.

Without seeing some sort of topology it a bit hard to troubleshoot- Could post a topology if applicable?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card