cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing across fiber link (no IP on WIC)

darkmagex
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to create a layout such as below. The site to site link is a fiber optic connection (we are given an Ethernet handoff from the provider). The problem seems to be routing the traffic over the interfaces that do not have an IP address. I know we can create a "bridge" subnet (say 172.16.1.0) and do routes to jump across but wanted to know if it's possible to get around that step.

#1 1720 FastEthernet0 (LAN to 10.1.1.0, IP: 10.1.1.1)

#1 1720 Ethernet0 (Site to Site Link)

|

|

#2 1720 Ethernet0 (Site to Site Link)

#2 1720 FastEthernet0 (LAN to 10.1.2.0, IP: 10.1.2.1)

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Why can't you have addresses on the E0 links ? If you absolutely can't have addresses on the E0 interfaces you might look into ip unnumbered .

It's not really a problem to put IPs on the E0s other than I thought it might make the routing "cleaner" from a management perspective.

Was more curious and just looking for something I possibly wasn't aware of. I'll look into ip unnumbered and thanks for the reply!

joseph.derrick
Level 1
Level 1

I don't think its possible to route any traffic on an interface that doesn't have an IP address.

Since routing occurs on layer 3 which requires an ip address in the interface another option to go through this is by using 'ip unnumbered' as previsouly suggested.

Thanks !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: