Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing DHCP problem

Hello, this is a cross post from the Microsoft forums, so I hope that's OK. My problem is either a Cisco routing problem or a Windows 7 problem; I'm not ssure with which I have gone wrong:

We are getting Events 5719 from NETLOGON with the message "currently no logon servers available" and also event 1129 from GroupPolicy, both at boot time. The computer eventually gets a DHCP address and logs onto the domain after a short while. Each machine only logs one of each of these events at boot. These events appear only to occur to Windows 7 machines that are not on the same subnet as the DHCP server and DCs (we have multiple subnets for our three campuses). The computers are all connected to Cisco 2950 and 2960 switches with default switch port roles assigned, that is with spanning-tree set to portfast. Routing between subnets is performed by a Cisco 3550-12G. Assigning any affected computer a fixed IP address also resolves the problem, which leads me to think that it is probably a DHCP routing issue or a timing problem with the Windows 7 workstation giving up on getting a DHCP address before the DHCP server can respond. The DHCP server is also a DC running in an ESXi 4 cluster.

I've read a bit online regarding event 5719 and have tried various things:

1. Updated NIC drivers. I experimented with our HP DC7800s, installing HPs latest driver as well as the latest driver from Intel (for the 82566DM-2), but without positive result.

2. Disabled media sensing on the NIC.

3. Disabled auto speed detection on the NIC and switch port and fixed at 100mb full duplex.

4. Changed TCPTimerWaitDelay and MaxUserPort settings in the registry.

5. Disabled WiredAutoConfig service

6. Disabled IPv6 on the workstation

7. Upgraded the Cisco Switch IOS to the latest version.

None of this has solved the problem.

The VLAN configuration for the 3550 specifies several ip helper-addresses: the DHCP server, our SCCM server and another server that runs various licensing applications. The ip directed-broadcast command is there to route Wake-On-Lan packets.

interface Vlan41
description MS
ip address 10.4.0.1 255.255.0.0
ip helper-address 10.1.1.13
ip helper-address 10.1.1.9
ip helper-address 10.1.1.68
ip directed-broadcast 101

I'm hoping someone might have some advice as to how to proceed with this one.

1 Reply 1

quickfix73
Level 1
Level 1

I know you say that your PortFast is enabled, but you might want to double check... this EXACT same thing(errors) was happening to me and setting the switch to portfast fixed it. We then varified that it was PortFast by disableing PortFast and it broke again

Just a side note... this was only happening if you logged in to the pc as soon as the CTRL+ALT+DEL appeared after a shutdown or reboot. if we waited 45 to 60 seconds before logging in we had no problems.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco