Views
Helpful
Replies

RPR and RPR+ Question

Craddockc
Level 3
Level 3

Community,

Im currently studying for the CCNP SWITCH exam and am having some confusion regarding RPR and RPR+ behavior. I am reading that in RPR+

"When configuration changes occur during normal operation, redundancy performs an incremental synchronization from the active supervisor engine to the redundant supervisor engine. Redundancy synchronizes user-entered CLI commands incrementally line-by-line from the active supervisor engine to the redundant supervisor engine. Even though the redundant supervisor engine is fully initialized, it only interacts with the active supervisor engine to receive incremental changes to the configuration files as they occur. You cannot enter CLI commands on the redundant supervisor engine."

A couple questions regarding this:

1) Does this only apply to the Running Config? For instance in RPR+ if I make changes to the running config in the active sup, will it sync those changes to the running config in the standby sup? If I commit the same changes to the start up config in the active sup, will it also sync those changes to the start up config in the standby sup?

2) Does RPR not do incremental changes? I cannot find anywhere where it mentions the standby sup getting incremental updates as changes are made to the active sup. Only that upon first startup, the standby and active sup start up configs are synced. Does this mean you have to commit changes to the start up config in the active sup before they are reflected in the standby sup? 

Any insights you can provide are helpful. Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Craddockc
Level 3
Level 3

Community,

After further digging ive found the answers:

1) RPR+ will sync both running config AND start up config from active to standby as the standby sup is considered UP and loaded with the running config. 

2) RPR will only sync the startup config. So if changes are made to the running config in the active, those changes must be committed to the startup config so they can be synced, otherwise the changes in the running config will be lost. The reason for this is the fact that the standby sup isnt fully initialized or even booted up, so its ONLY going to use the start-up config anyway. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card