Views
Helpful
Replies

RSTP problems

niamul.smh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

first time posting so i hope i'm able to get my point through.

my company runs a ring network with 9 switches connected via 10G optical links.

root bridge is set manually with priority 0 and since one of the switch decided to keep one port blocked as to not create a loop, i increased the priority of that switch to 61440.

everything else relating to rstp has been kept at default (mostly because i don't understand it much).

all the uplink ports are p2p with client ports being edge.

every now and then, the problems i face are

- management vlan of a particular switch stops responding.

manually cycling the vlan and the vlan interface doesn't work. only way to get access back to the switch is via restart. no mac of that management vlan are received on the other switches connected to that particular switch. only fix is reboot.

- uplink port changes from p2p to edge on a particular switch.

when that happens, the alt port of the last switch changes for forward mode (p2p) and as it would appear, a network loop should occur; it doesn't. the management vlan of that switch also stops responding and no mac is received on either side. the port that changes from p2p to edge doesn't send any traffic.

now, i'm not too sure whether this has to do with hello time or max-aging or forward-time and i'd appreciate some help on it. from what i have gathered, hello time needs to be increased on the management vlan (correct me if i am wrong) by 1 second the farther we move from the root bridge?

if you take a look at the attached diagram, it might be easier to understand. i have to say, the network spans over 60km. there is no fluctuation of optical signal or electrical problems

root guard is only used on ports that connect clients. uplink ports are simply configured with switchport trunk allowed-vlan all.

i would appreciate any help.

Thank you

Niamul

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: