Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RSTP with Huawei

Hi Experts
I am running a network with couple of cisco switches and Huawei switches, currently I had a Huawei Switch CE6810 which is root bridge and the mode is RSTP in both brands
I am facing issue with RSTP as Huawei is the root bridge and cisco is accepting huawei as root bridge only on vlan 1 
I have verified as rest all configuration is OK as vlans allowed end to end and data is also travelling
But my concern is about RSTP root bridge selection as cisco denied to accept huawei on root bridge
I got help from Huawei team as well and they said to change mode to mstp on 1 instance only and i did same but somehow i lost access to all cisco switches after moving these to mstp 
When i login to cisco with console and found uplinks blocked with error of pvst_inc 
Please advise how we can resolve this issue

8 Replies 8

Hi

STP is bad.  Which Cisco switch do you have? Why not Layer 3 between them?

Greetings Flavio
I have added network topology , could you please advise how we can do Layer 3 between these

Hello,

do your Huawei switches support VBST ? VBST is compatible with PVST, PVST+, or Rapid PVST+.

Huawei support has given you the correct advice. MSTP works with Cisco switches running MST. How did you implement this ?

Check the section 'Interoperation and Replacement Solution 3: Cisco Switches Use MST to Replace PVST to Interoperate with Huawei Switches Running MSTP' in the document linked below:

https://forum.huawei.com/enterprise/en/interoperation-and-replacement-guide-for-spanning-tree-protocols-on-huawei-and-cisco-switches/thread/506149-861

Thanks Georg for advise 
VBST is available but support only on 128 vlans and my current network required stp on 1300 vlans 

I Have applied mstp to most of the devices and not sure if i missed any cisco device , but after implementing mstp i lost access to all cisco switches and these switches are on remote site and we need to engage physical team to reboot the devices 
We have configured 1 instance only (instance 0) to all switches and in root bridge we have set priority to all vlans is 0
Let me study the link you shared 

Thanks much

Hello
What you are seeing here is down to a feature called “pvst simulation” which in my case I have personally experienced between a mixed DELL and CISCO mixed stp domain which caused me some trouble in the past, However this can be any non mst domain doesnt matter what vendor it is.

Dell running mst
Cisco running pvst

The Common/Instance spanning-tree (CIST) root needs to be within the MST or non MST domain and such the stp priority’s need to adhere to this:

CIST Root = MST region: Vlans 2 + of the NON MST region (that is in my case the cisco stp domain) Had to have its stp priority’s less preferred then the CIST root of the MST region (instance 0) so the cisco stp pvst for the vlans 2 + had to have a higher less preferred value.

CIST root = NON MST region: Vlans 2 + of the cisco stp region had to have its stp priority’s less preferred than its own vlan 1

Failure of either of the above would otherwise result in the boundary port between the two stp domain to transition into a “*PVST_Inc”  state because the port cannot be a designated /root port at the same time (ie: vlan 1 designated,  all other vlans root port)

I have since found this excellent document on “PVST simulation” and have been able to lab this up so now i am very aware of this feature!

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul

Thank you so much for posting solution and I am sure it will work 100 % but I am not much technical person and have basic network knowledge only
From your advise what I understand is , To resolve this Issue I will keep Huawei Root Bridge on RSTP mode and for a cisco device (any one switch) I will create 2 instances , Instance 0 and will map vlan 1 only and instance 1 I will map remaining all vlans right 
Now on the port which I want as a root port I will set Low priority (greater value) on vlan 1 and remaining all vlans on instance 1 will set High priority as compare to vlan 1 (lesser value)

Please advise if I do this on 1 cisco switch , will I lost access to this switch ? and will there be any impact on other cisco switches on live network ( for sure i will change all other to mstp as well) but to make sure if access will remain

Hello

@Muhammad Kamran Shahzad wrote:

I got help from Huawei team as well and they said to change mode to mstp on 1 instance only and i did same but somehow i lost access to all cisco switches after moving these to mstp 

When i login to cisco with console and found uplinks blocked with error of pvst_inc 

I pointed out the reason for the *PVST_Inc  state at the stp boundary and how to rectify it based the my understanding you have already have MST ruining either on the Huawei or cisco devices? 

However please don't APPLY MST if its not already running especially if you have large STP domains, MST needs to be introduced in a definitive manner.

Can you post a topology diagram and elaborate on what you are trying to achieve, include the stp priorities of the Huawei/cisco if possible

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul
Apologies for delay in response
Please find attached topology of my network
Swithces marked with CS at end identifying Cisco and HW are Huawei
RB is Root Bridge Switch as I want to be a root bridge of all other switches for all vlans
R Marked on the lines , we want to make these ports as a root ports and we have done some config like below
Example : Interface te1/49 (we want this Root port ) : Interface te1/49 > Spanning-tree cost 2
interface te1/50 (we want this as designated) interface te1/50> spanning-tree cost 20000

Currently RSTP is running in all switches 
Priority for all vlans in all switches is 61440 

Only huawei swithces are working fine but not cisco as cisco accepting only vlan 1 from Huawei switches as root bridge 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card