Views
Helpful
Replies

Same MAC on two physical interfaces, different VLAN

cheeseburger
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I'm troubleshooting an issue and I found something interesting. I have the same MAC address on two different interfaces and VLANs. See below:

Displaying entries from active supervisor:

vlan mac address type learn age ports
----+----+---------------+-------+-----+----------+-----------------------------
* 17 0050.569a.1915 dynamic Yes 0 Te5/5
* 16 0050.569a.1915 dynamic Yes 5 Po31

I understand that when a switch learns a MAC, it will either delete the old entry if it's on a different port or VLAN or only update the timestamp if on the same interface or VLAN. However, this is no what I am seeing here.

One of these VLANs is an UNTRUST VLAN and one is a TRUST VLAN. There is a PaloAlto in the middle doing a vWire which I understand is just stitching together VLAN 16 and 17. I'm not sure why it was setup like this originally. Why would I see the same MAC on two different interfaces and VLANs?

My L3 device shows this:

IP ARP Table
Total number of entries: 1
Address Age MAC Address Interface
172.30.15.4 00:00:21 0050.569a.1915 Vlan17

That MAC is then learned on:

* 17 0050.569a.1915 dynamic ~~~ F F Eth5/9

This goes to a L2 switch which has the two MACs learned.

Are my devices drunk?!

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Same mac on two different ports in the same vlan would be an issue but not if the ports are in different vlans as switches keep per vlan MAC address tables. 

As to why you are seeing it I suspect because as you say your firewall is operating at L2 and it is joining the vlans  together ie. a single IP subnet but two vlans which you do to avoid STP issues. 

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card