Views
Helpful
Replies

SAP implementation task

theheretic1984
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i have a real task and i need help!

At site i have 25 PCs connected to one unmannaged switch which is connected to mikrotik routerboard 750 router for Internet. The network is 192.168.0.0/24. There is also one server Windows 2012 R2 connected to the switch. This is all the network right now.

Suddenly they expect to implement SAP, so there are 2 SAP HANA servers each with 2 NICs and 2 brand new cisco switches 2960 XR.

They want from me to replace the current switch with the 2 new cisco switches and to connect the 2 SAP servers with the 2 NICs to the switches so if one of the switches fails there will be still communication with SAP servers using the second already working switch.

How to complete this task. I need an idea and the technologies which i should use. Consider that my knowledge is CCNA.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The more intelligent solution would be stacking the switches.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The 2960X switches can be stacked, so they logically look as one switch.  Once you stack them, for redundancy, you connect the servers to both switches. This way if one switch goes down you still have a second switch that is connected to the same server. This scenario will give you switch redundancy as well as NIC (server) redundancy.

HTH

There will be no stacking because the stacking modules are no included. I need other solution.

Also if i connect the two NICs of one of the servers can they be in the same subnet. I guess NO.

There will be no stacking because the stacking modules are no included. I need other solution.

Ok.

Also if i connect the two NICs of one of the servers can they be in the same subnet. I guess NO.

Yes, you can connect both NICs to the same switch and configure HA on the NICs.  They will be on the same subnet/vlan.

HTH

May be i should tell them to use only one of the switches and if it fails to replace it manually. But i think there is some more intelligent solution to my task.

The more intelligent solution would be stacking the switches.

OK. Lets stack them. But what will happen if one of them fails and i have all these hosts connected to the failed one i guess i must then manually unplug all their network cables and to reconnect them to the working one. Is this so? (i understand that the servers in this situation will have connectivity, but what about the hosts)

Correct.  Your servers will have redundancy since they have 2 NICs. Most hosts (laptop, desktop, printers.etc ..) come with one NIC and so, you can only connect them to one device.  If that switch fails you move the connection to the other one.

HTH

surbhinahta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am also having the same issue and got the best answer from SAP courses.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card