Views
Helpful
Replies

SCP BUFFER ERROR DURING FILE COPY

evanm
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco Community.

I need to remotely copy a file from a switch to many others. I am getting the following error however when I use SCP with SCP server enabled on all switches:

*May 4 17:30:46.874: %SSH-3-BUFF_LEN_EXCD: Buffer Length exceeded
%SSH-3-BUFF_LEN_EXCD: Buffer Length exceeded

I've used this command before without any issues on 9200/9300s but seems to fail with IE3200s:

Copy usbflash0://ios/ie3200/ie3x00-universalk9.17.03.05.SPA.bin scp://project:project@172.x.X.x://flash:ie3x00-universalk9.17.03.05.SPA.bin

Am I using the right command? Can someone also let me know how to use copy scp to remotely pull a file from a USB location or flash located on another switch?

Thanks in advance.

-E

FIRMWARE: 17.3.4 [IE-3200-8T2S]

3 Replies 3

evanm
Level 1
Level 1

Issue was due to a coworker making windowing changes for file transfers for staging. I removed the setting below which resolved.

no ip tcp window-size 65535
no ip ssh window-size 65535

Can someone still assist with providing the correct command to pull files from a switch to another switch via SCP? Thanks.

Hello,

which IOS version are you running ? You could be affected by the bug below:

SSH session hangs if it is not closed properly
CSCva46459

Symptom:
SSH session hangs and doesn't get closed properly.

The below logs might be generated on the device:

%SSH-3-BUFF_LEN_EXCD: Buffer Length exceeded

In some situations the router might reboot unexpectedly with the below line in the crashinfo file:

IOSXE-WATCHDOG: Process = TTY Backgroun

Conditions:
If the ssh session is not closed properly

Workaround:
Close the session gracefully, or clear the line VTY's using the console of the router

Further Problem Description:
This bug also affects CBR8

Hi Georg,

I don't think it is related to the bug but a setting a coworker had applied to try and speed up file transfers. Here's the version:

xxnsw01#show version
Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 17.03.05
Cisco IOS Software [Amsterdam], IE3x00 Switch Software (IE3x00-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 17.3.5, REL

Do you know the command to scp a file from a switch from another? Here's the example that I use to copy a file to a switch but haven't figured out the reverse:

Copy flash://ios/9200/cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.03.04b.SPA.bin scp://user:pass@172.30.13.x://flash:cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.03.04b.SPA.bin
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card