Helpful
Replies

Send (TX) & Receive (RX) Traffic Management

hamzashahid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Hope you doing great seniors,

I don't know if this is a valid question but i was trying to google and all but couldn't find anything related or maybe its not possible, just for my clarification kindly guide me if this is possible.

is there any way to manage the traffic of send/Receive?

For example:

if we use EtherChannel or something else and use one port for sending (tx) and another port for receiving (rx) traffic in cisco switches/routers or in SFP ports by our choice of port.

your kind guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards:

Hamza Shahid

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

You want to have control over RX traffic and TX traffic inside your network and in Layer2 level?

I dont think it is possible and this could cause something called assimetric traffic which many applications does not like. 

Maybe if you give more information of the overall requirement we can come up with  some solution 

you mean the there are two LINK 
one high Speed Upload 
other High Speed DownLoad ?

You can do that with BGP, make one link is Inbound and other is Outbound IF you connect to SP.
if you connect to ISP internet then default route toward one Link for Outbound and all User in Internet use other Link for Inbound.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My prior employer, back in the early days of 10g Ethernet, on 7609s, used individual10g port's TX and RX each connected to a different 7609 neighbor.  They only had need for transmitting high volume traffic in one direction, and by doing this, they effectively cut the cost of 10g ports in half.

So, it's possible, at least on some equipment, but for general traffic management, there are much (much) better approaches (I believe) then trying to manage individual TX and RX port connections.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card