cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Server Heartbeat issue

jennyjohn
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 Servers which need to have a heartbeat connection between themselves. When I connect a Dlink hub between them the heartbeat works fine. But when I connect them across two server farm switch in the same L2 VLAN the setup does not work. The heartbeat interface on the servers cannot have a Gateway. How can I fix this? (Diagram attached)

Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The server farm switches do not have a direct connection ie. they go via the core switches. Are these switch interconnects L2 trunks ?

If so you need to make sure that your heartbeat vlan is allowed on the trunk links and that all switches have the heartbeat vlan in their vlan database.

Jon

Thanks marshall for the reply.

The switch interconnects are L2 trunks and the vlans are permitted over the trunk and the heartbeat vlan is there on the server farm switch databases.

If the servers are connected to the same switch, it works fine. For the time being we are making it work like this.

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I am not sure which server heartbeat you are referring to. If it is not MS Server NLB heartbeat then please disregard my post. If you are dealing with MS Server NLB heartbeat then please find out which NLB mode your servers are using (unicast, multicast or multicast with IGMP support) - the person who configured NLB should be able to tell you.

Thanks & Regards,

Antonin

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card