Views
Helpful
Replies

Setup CBS350 Switch using an AT&T BGW320 for an Internet Connection

JG1418
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco Community!

I’m an old Novell/Windows NT IT guy, who is now a technology tinkerer. Trying to understand some of these new terms, also, unfortunately, I have forgotten a good amount - as you will see in my questions below ☹. I recently purchased a CBS350-24 port switch, hopefully future proof my network at least for the next 5+ years.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Current Configuration/Concept:

The CBS350 is setup into three VLANS:

• VLAN 10 – This VLAN is for wireless and wired connections for cell phones/tablets, laptops.
    • Questions:
      • Based on best practices, what configurations are necessary via the CBS350 GUI to ensure connectivity and security for this VLAN?  

• VLAN 20 – This VLAN is for Smart TVs, Streaming App Box(The app box has a fruit name), Yamaha Receiver, AT&T U-verse boxes, Ring Cameras, IoT Devices, etc.
    • Questions:
      • How do I allow access for the laptops, cell phone/tables to access the Steaming App Box/Smart TVs? What setting do I need modify in the GUI, but to maintain security?
      • Based on best practices, what configurations are necessary via the CBS350 GUI to ensure connectivity and security for this VLAN?

• VLAN 30 – AT&T Gateway/Modem/Router and Cisco 240AC Access Point (AP), not sure if this is necessary.
    • Internet Access:
      • I need to configure the CBS350 Switch to utilize the AT&T BGW320 Internet Modem/Router/Gateway (not sure the correct terminology).
      • Questions:
        • Which menus in the GUI do I need to edit to setup the AT&T modem?
        • What setting do I need to change on the AT&T modem?
        • I watched the Cisco videos and read a few articles on trunking and layer 3 but, still do not understand the concepts and which mode/interface would ensure a solid and secure connection?
        • Which menus in the GUI do I need to configure to ensure all VLANS have access to the internet, but still maintain security?
    • Wireless Access:
      • I am using a Cisco 240AC for wireless access, per my old network design currently has THREE SSIDs configured.
      • Two hidden SSIDs one for 2.4 traffic and one for 5 GHz traffic, using WPA2.
      • An exposed SSID 2.4 GHz Guest network, using WPA2.
        • Questions:
          • Do I need to configure an SSID for each of the VLANS?
          • If so, should I separate the SSID’s by 2.4ghz and 5ghz?
          • What are some best practices to ensure security and operability for wireless devices?
1 Reply 1

JG1418
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everybody,

Just checking in, I think I have everything configured for both VLAN 10 and 20. The biggest issue, and the part I need assistance with is getting the switch, gateway and AP configured. Currently, I added two ports within Vlan-30, for both the gateway and the access point. I am not sure if a separate vlan is needed.

Before “flip-the-switch” and connect the gateway and AP to the new CBS350, I want to ensure I have this part ready to go.

VLAN 30 – AT&T Gateway/Modem/Router and Cisco 240AC Access Point (AP), not sure if this is necessary.

• Internet Access/Wireless Access:
    • I need to configure the CBS350 Switch to utilize the AT&T BGW320 Internet Modem/Router/Gateway (not sure the correct terminology).

• Questions:
    • Which menus in the GUI do I need to edit to setup the AT&T modem?

• I watched the Cisco videos and read a few articles on trunking and layer 3 but, still do not understand the concepts and which port setting would ensure a correct and solid/secure connection?

I appreciate any technical assistance you can provide. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card