cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SF300-48P setup to share internet

joebrown32279
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a SF30-48P and I am trying to set it up to extend the network (just internet initially) and I am having problems with the basic setup. I have a modem / router and have connected it to the switch via the link port G1 but I cannot get the switch to communicate with the other 48 ports when connected to the computer. Firmware is up to date and settings are all default apart from the IP address of the switch.

There is one configuration that allows the switch and computer to communicate and that is if I plug the ethernet cable into another link port.

If anyone can help get this switch to share the internet around my network I will be vey grateful.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Hello,

--> I cannot get the switch to communicate with the other 48 ports when connected to the computer.

It is a bit unclear what your topology looks like. With 'the other 48 ports' you mean the SF300 ports ? How is 'the computer' connected to the rest of your topology ? And what are the IP addresses of 'the computer' and the clients connected to the SF300 ?

Hi Georg, thanks for having a look at this. The current setup i have is a modem / router connected straight to the the SF300, connected to port G1, from there the 'other 48' ports are connected to various equipment around the building to give internet access to things like TV's, Games consoles, satellite TV boxes, computer terminals etc. However, I have disconnected everything at present and only have one computer attached to the SF300 at the minute, directly connected with an ethernet cable to port 17.

I have changed the IP address of the SF300 to 192.168.1.253 as my router has IP address 192.168.1.254. the only other IP address involved currently is the one of my PC which is 192.168.1.100

The idea was to use the switch purely to distribute internet access around the building but the switch was not doing this, however, bizarrely, this morning I returned to have another go at trouble shooting it (starting to think there was an issue with switch itself) and the switch appears to be working correctly now. An device / terminal I plug into it is getting the internet passed though it now.

I am going to reinstall the switch in my rack and monitor it to see what happens.

Thanks

Joe

Hi there,

Can you confirm that the switch is not configured to handle DHCP requests for your one subnet? If it is, then make sure the gateway address is set to 192.168.1.254. Better still, just disable DHCP on the switch and let the router handle the requests.

cheers,

Seb.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card