Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP's needed for new switches

caleb1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello folks,

I am looking to purchase the following switch as Layer 3 C9300X-24Y-A and following switch as Layer 2 C9200L-48P-4X-E. The current old switches 3850 & 3650 that are being replaced have the following SFP for the most part "SFP-10GBase-SR" and I was wondering what would be the new SFP type that I will need to buy for the new switches Layer 3 C9300X-24Y-A and Layer 2 C9200L-48P-4X-E?

I also noticed on some of the old switches interfaces when i do the command "show inventory" I see the following mention of SFP: NAME: "Te1/0/5", DESCR: "10/100/1000BaseTX SFP"

But when I do the following command "show interface transceiver" I don't see that interface listed as having a transceiver with above command interface output showing in the show inventory, can someone explain to me if I still need to buy a transceiver for this given it's showing up in the command "show inventory". I was hoping it would show up something list this in the "show inventory" DESCR: "SFP-10GBase-SR" in this case it shows up in the output from the command "show transceiver"?

Here is some output i have taken form "show interface" as this port is hard coded for 100MB with Full duplex.
#sh int Te1/0/5 | i media
Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, link type is auto, media type is 10/100/1000BaseTX SFP

Thanks 

11 Replies 11

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I was wondering what would be the new SFP type that I will need to buy for the new switches Layer 3 C9300X-24Y-A and Layer 2 C9200L-48P-4X-E?

"SFP-10GBase-SR" is compatible with the 9300 and 9200 series as well. So, you don't necessarily need to purchase new SFP+ but if the existing ones are being used, and you don't want to disrupt the network, you can always purchase new ones. BTW, transceiver and SFP are the same things.

HTH

If the "SFP-10GBase-SR" is compatible with the following Layer 3 C9300X-24Y-A and Layer 2 C9200L-48P-4X-E then I will need to buy additional SFP's. Since I am looking to use the following Layer 2 C9200L-48P-4X-E as stackable just want to confirm if the stacking cables comes with this new set of model switch or is that something I have to purchase separate? 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What are the firmware version of the switches?

There are several known bugs that affects the NM &/or OIR.  The workaround is to reboot the switch.

They are running version 16.3

@caleb1 wrote:

They are running version 16.3

16.3 what?  I want to see the entire version number.

Here is the complete code:16.3.7

See the compatibility matrix. SFP-10GBase-SR is supported starting with version IOS XE 17.5.1

see link:

https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/?si=C9300X-24

HTH

What about from my OP I had question if you have provide your thought when I do "show inventory" I see the following:

SFP: NAME: "Te1/0/5", DESCR: "10/100/1000BaseTX SFP"

When I do the following command "show transceiver" I don't see the transceiver for that interface shown from above but I see them for other interfaces is it safe to say I will need to buy an SFP for it as well?  

Either get 3rd party transceiver or upgrade the firmware of the switch.

Yes it's kind of strange I will try that to see if it helps.

Since I need to buy 5 switches of model C9200L-48P-4X-E and 5 switches of model C9200L-48PXG-4X-E as access switches and will like to stack them can you please provide what are the stacking cables models (stackwise/stack kit) that i will need to buy for each of those model of switches?

Can someone advise regarding the switch mentioned in my original post as I need to buy 5 switches of model C9200L-48P-4X-E and 5 switches of model C9200L-48PXG-4X-E as access switches and will like to stack them can some please provide what are the stacking cables (stackwise/stack kit) that i will need to buy for each of those model of switches?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card