Views
Helpful
Replies

SG220 Series "Input Errors" on interfaces

pmcallion
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We've recently sold a few SG220 series switches, 26 & 50 port versions.

We have noticed that on ALL the switches we are getting "input errors" on the interfaces.

GigabitEthernet27 is up
  Hardware is Gigabit Ethernet
  Auto-duplex, Auto-speed, media type is Copper
  flow-control is off
  back-pressure is enabled
     63395623 packets input, 2122024638 bytes, 2578 throttles
     Received 43920 broadcasts (269367 multicasts)
     0 runts, 133 giants, 2578 throttles
     2711 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored
     269367 multicast, 0 pause input
     0 input packets with dribble condition detected
     75699788 packets output, 475407298 bytes, 0 underrun
     0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets
     0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
     0 PAUSE output

At sites where they are used for data only this isn't causing an issue, but at 3 different sites the SG220 is used for voice and all 3 are reporting call quality issues.

We have replaced the switches at one of the sites and their voice quality issues have disappeared.

Can anybody confirm they are seeing the same problems or any suggestions

Also if this range of switches is faulty how can I get them returned via UK distribution channels

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Are all the switches running the same firmware ?

when you replaced the switch at the voice site was it with a different switch platform or same type of switch with newer software

Throttles usually indicate switch port struggling with the amount of traffic coming in and it throttles it to give itself time to buffer and input errors can be layer 1 , strange you see it everywhere

Throttles ---The counter increments when the interface fails to obtain a buffer for an inbound packet.

Have you checked the buffers are they maxing out , I would try upgrade firmware on one switch see if it makes any difference first , do you have large volumes of traffic generally

I see flow-c0ontrol is off too it may help in this situation to turn it on so the device can signal to the far end its under stress to ease off the amount of traffic

Hi,

Thanks for the response,

At the site where we have replaced the switch we have changed it for a 2960S and this resolved the problem, no input errors and voice sounds perfect.

Traffic is nothing out of the ordinary at all the sites, just basic file sharing/Web browsing and Voice.

The input errors occur on all ports which are active, printers, PC's phones etc.

I have enabled the voice VLAN to separate traffic and also tried a different variations of using flow-control, back-pressure forcing port speed/duplex etc and nothing really seems to help.

All switches are running 1.0.0.18, I see the 1.0.0.19 has just been released but the notes mention only minor fixes.

Is anybody else able to confirm if they are receiving input errors on SG220 switches?

Thanks

Update... Just found this Article with correct subject but wrong product stating SG200 series.

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuy16641/?referring_site=bugquickviewredir

We are experiencing the same issues with access point hooked up to the port

Hi,

You are not alone

I am experiencing a similar issue with a SG220-26P however the errors occur predominantly on the uplink interface.  Other interfaces also report errors but low in comparison.  The switch on the other side, SG300-28PP, doesn't report any issues though.  

All voice services on the SG220 switch run poorly vs other parts of office where we have SG300 and SG200's

We also had the SG220-52P's however I returned them due to their random reboot feature.I have not had a positive experience with the SG220 series vs the SG200/SG300 series.

Below are SG220 interface stats about 5mins after a reboot and outside of business hours... 

GigabitEthernet26 is up
Hardware is Gigabit Ethernet
Auto-duplex, Auto-speed, media type is Copper
flow-control is off
back-pressure is enabled
19822 packets input, 2661322 bytes, 2098 throttles
Received 11497 broadcasts (3260 multicasts)
0 runts, 0 giants, 2098 throttles
2098 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored
3260 multicast, 0 pause input
0 input packets with dribble condition detected
3207 packets output, 780476 bytes, 0 underrun
0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets
0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
0 PAUSE output

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card