cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG250-08 - Does it operate fully in Layer3 inter VLAN mode?

WaitingForGodot
Level 1
Level 1

After hours of trying to make this switch work, watching cisco videos, reading posts etc, i have come to the conclusion that it is Layer 3 Lite, and incapable of providing inter VLAN communications within the switch. The switch cannot operate on Layer 3 mode it seems and can only set individual ports to layer3.  If a port is set to Layer3 it then fails to operate at all. Any attempt to put all ports into layer3 mode (as suggested by Anton from Cisco support somewhere else) leaves the switch unresponsive and it needs to be restarted, if not reset.  (Yes, I'm using latest firmware BTW: image_tesla_250_2.5.0.92).

So the question is: can someone provide an unequivocal informed knowledgeable confirmation that this SG250-08 switch is L3 Lite and not suitable for interVLAN L3 comms. Comments re other models aren't that helpful. Also from what I can see, even SG250's with more ports seem to have a different GUI interface and large CLI command set and may (?) perform this task but not the 8 port it seems.

Thanks and appreciation in advance.

Jay

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check if this thread can provide some additional help :
                 https://community.cisco.com/t5/small-business-switches/sg250-08-on-l3-layer/td-p/4059871

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi
No I’ve read that post (if you read down you will find Anton’s suggestion already referred to that doesn’t help at all). As noted in the thread, most of the comments relate to non-SG250-08 switches and are unhelpful! Video ‘training’ is also not on the 8-port switch etc etc.

Thanks but so far, this isn’t progress.

Jay

for information, 

I have this problem on SG250x48 ... communication intervlan impossible.

Well tbh, I've now given up and returned it.

Apart from the fact that if doesn't perform as promised, what really irks me are the 'how to' YouTube videos that pretend to show you how it's done. As I got more familiar with the SG250, I discovered that the demonstrator using a mac running windows who does the SG250 demo is cheating. This demo was part of the arson I bought it. Her testing to show the intervlan works is actually done in Basic GUI mode, so the ping test automatically uses the SAME SOURCE subnet as the destination IP. If you replicate exactly what she did it seems ok, but it fails totally when in Advanced mode and one sets the source Vlan as different to the destination Vlan. Or if one pings from a terminal session. In short, it's a big fail for intervlan.

Guess I'm looking for another genuinely capable layer 3 intervlan switch now ... thanks for nothing Cisco.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card