cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple question: is it too complex to configure Cisco ACE module?

alexgarin
Level 1
Level 1

We recently purchased ACE blade for 6509 chassis to accomodate HLB requirements to all main front-end application servers: Web (IIS), Mail (Exchange), Remore Access (RD Services), Enterprise Voice (MS Lync) and some other front-end services. Typically we either use NLB cluster that is built-in into Windows Server 2012 R2, or in some cases (e.g. Exchange 2013) we need to deploy dedicated Front-End servers. If we can deploy ACE HLB, we can reduce number of servers (e.g. we don't need dedicated Exchange CAS servers) and improve high availability of the services (as NLB does not check health of the service; e.g. if IIS is down on one node, NLB cluster still continue sending clients to this node).

I was wondering if somebody can help me with answering few simple questions regarding Cisco ACE module.

1. Is it realistic to configure ACE blade without "expert" skills with Cisco equipment. We do have basic skills (e.g. we can setup switch, VLANs, ports, Spanning-tree, ACL, static routes etc.) to configure 6509 core switch. But ACE is new for us and we currently have no knowledge in it (but willing to learn how it works and how to configure it)

2. Is there some kind of step-by-step procedures available for typical ACE configuration? For example we need simple scenario: load-balance 2 Web servers (Windows 2012 R2 IIS 8.5) with one virtual IP address using ports 80 and 443.

3. Is there any software available that allows to configure ACE module using "simple and user-friendly" GUI interface? Yes, I know, CLI is the way to go, but for newbe like us GUI can be very helpful, especially for the first time configuration.

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. I found this article: http://dataplumber.wordpress.com/2006/12/19/sample-config-the-new-cisco-ace-card-for-catalyst-6509/ but it is 8 years old so I'm not sure if I should trust it for new ACE module...                  

3 Replies 3

Andras Dosztal
Level 3
Level 3

I would start here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/application-networking-services/ace-4700-series-application-control-engine-appliances/products-installation-and-configuration-guides-list.html

Check the Device Manager GUI Guide and the Getting Started Guide. There are nice examples in them.

bmelvin1969
Level 1
Level 1

Pay for someone who knows what they are doing?

If you bought it 'recently' your sales rep should have told you:

"Cisco announces the end-of-sale and end-of life dates for the Cisco ACE  Application Control Engine ACE30 Module. The last day to order the  affected product(s) is January 24, 2014."

You should have bought the Citrix NetScaler 1000V instead.

Kanwaljeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You can start with the link given by one gentleman below and if you have any questions/doubts please feel free to ask in Data center---->Application Networking community. That is community where most of discussions regarding ACE are started and answered quickly:)

Regards,

Kanwal

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: