Views
Helpful
Replies

Situation with Wic-Cards expansion

Fotiosmark
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am wondering which Wic-Cards extensions can support Port-Channels as well as Layer 3 feauture.

I did the horrible mistake and bought HWIC-4ESW that basically work only as Layer 2 Switching.

I need to create a full redundant network with Port-channels etc.

Any advise?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
7 Replies 7

Hello,

it depends on your platform. The 1-port HWIC (HWIC-1FE) and 2-port HWIC (HWIC-2FE) would be an option.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/2800-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/product_data_sheet0900aecd80581fe6.html

assuming the 2 port support Port-Channel bundling ?
Dunno what to do with the HWIC-4ESW, big mistake. Can't figure out a way to use them in my situation. :(

assuming i install the 1FE, will the port channel bundle the port with the already onboard card?

Thanks

Hello,

yes, the 1 port and 2 port HWICs can participate in port channels just like any other onboard interface:

--> In Cisco IOS Release 12.4(17.6), EtherChannel support is introduced for embedded Fast
Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet interfaces on Cisco2811, Cisco 28 21, Cisco 2851, Cisco 38 25 and
Cisco 38 45. Additionally, the same feature is also supported on the NM-1GE, HWIC-1GE-S FP,
HWIC-1FE and HWIC-2FE modules in the earlier IOS release.

Sorry, what I meant was if the HWIC-1fe can be bundled with the onboard ports. Currently it has 2 Gig onboard. Assuming I install the 1fe Wic, can I bundle in port channel the Gig onboard with the 1fe Wic? :)

Thanks again!

Hello,

understood. No, that won't work. All members of a port channel need to be the same speed and duplex. So you cannot mix Gigabit and FastEthernet...

so what would you suggest; I have an outside interface, and an inside for local lan. I wish to make the local lan redundant with 2 links in a port channel. So I need a module with 2 interfaces to make the local Lan redundant; So should I use the 2FE wic to do that? Thanks
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card