Views
Helpful
Replies

SLP across VLANs

joebrug
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

new to the cisco world so be easy. Coming from an Enterasys setup where all workstations/servers were in the same vlan (172). I'm running both the enterasys and two Cisco NX9k's (for redundancy/load balancing) with 2960X catalysts switch stacks connecting via trunks.. I've been migrating my gateways over to the Ciscos, in an effort to retire the Enterasys switch/routers.

My machine is plugged into one of the 2960 stacks. I just noticed that I'm not able to get SLP working on it.. so getting a lot of "tree or server not found" for my Novell/Micro Focus servers. 

My workstation is in the 1010 VLAN. My servers are in 172 VLAN. Servers are still plugged into enterasys equipment. 

In doing some light reading, I tried messing with IGMP but I think its already enabled by default on my NX/Catalysts.. so that didn't work. 

Not sure where to start here.. hoping you guys can guide me in right direction. 

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

have a read of this looks like multicast needs to be enable to support SLP on Cisco

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10855771/cant-pass-slp-across-vlans

Yes,

After messing around. I had to do "feature pim" on the Nexus.. then go into VLAN 172 and VLAN 1010 and type "ip pim sparse-mode" .. my workstation then started getting SLP information. When I enabled sparse mode on the second Nexus, my workstation lost the info for a while, but then it started populating again. Might've needed to sort itself out.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card